The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay Turbo kits? What else is needed?

Bluudy

Hey all, Im fully aware of the issues what can be caused by fitting a ebay/ non branded kit etc. But im Willing to take the risk

Take a look at this kit for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supra-IS300-SC300-GS300-2JZ-GE-2JZGE-GT35-T4-Turbo-Kit-68AR-3-V-BAND-Downpipe-/200680024171

What is needed to make it run in its lowest psi out put.

What ECU upgrades are needed? does it come with everything else needed?

Thanks

Bluudy

Ive fitted 3 kits now and they are not as bad as people make out. They get decent results. However obviously they aint the best quality. Turbo and manifold are best parts of the kit. If your going to map it then i would change the wastegate. But up untill the map and on low boost it will be fine. Make sure you buy decent oil lines as they are poor quality and can cause big problems. If you need any help ill be glad to help mate

if you dont know what your looking for then i would get someone to do it for you , Or do alot of reading on the project car pages on NA/T

xspower mainfolds crack , i had mine repaired and it lasted until i grounded the car on my drive , which was 3 years later but still i have not got to strip all the turbo sidde off my car to change it ,its not a too bad of a job but i would much rather not have to do it all again lol

Hey all, Im fully aware of the issues what can be caused by fitting a ebay/ non branded kit etc. But im Willing to take the risk

Take a look at this kit for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supra-IS300-SC300-GS300-2JZ-GE-2JZGE-GT35-T4-Turbo-Kit-68AR-3-V-BAND-Downpipe-/200680024171

What is needed to make it run in its lowest psi out put.

What ECU upgrades are needed? does it come with everything else needed?

The downpipe, intake pipe, screamer pipe, IC pipes are not fabricated in that kit, all you get are a selection of pipes and flanges, it's going to take an experienced welder a number of hours to fabricate the pipe work on the car. Once you tot up the considerable fabrication costs, sub-standard parts of the kit that need replacing, import tax and VAT you can at least double or tripple that cost price.

What you need with a cheap turbo kit from Ebay are a pair of rose tinted glasses. If you can't afford, or won't afford a high end kit with a decent ecu, professionally mapped, you are kidding yourself about having a reliable set up. Either save to, or be willing to spend a lot more, or don't start at all, that's my heartfelt honest advice.

What you need with a cheap turbo kit from Ebay are a pair of rose tinted glasses. If you can't afford, or won't afford a high end kit with a decent ecu, professionally mapped, you are kidding yourself about having a reliable set up. Either save to, or be willing to spend a lot more, or don't start at all, that's my heartfelt honest advice.

:yeahthat:

On add from Chris Wilson and others comments I would make sure that you A) have a very good mechanically understanding B) are aware of the consquences.

If one thing you are going to spend money on then I would recommend you get a decent ECU to look after everything.

Does anyone have a definative list of parts needed to go TT to Single? I have given it some thought recently and a list may be a good start if I were to start collecting bits as and when they came up second hand. I guess some parts would ideally be brought new.

- Exhaust Manifold

- Turbo

- Oil Feed lines

- Oil Return lines

- Oil Fittings - Drill sump and tap to suit the return line. Then a union bolt replacement for the oil feed

- Wastegate

- Screamer

- Downpipe

- Midpipe

- Ideally 3" cat back exhaust if you haven't already

- Intake Pipe

- Air Filter

- Different Spark Plugs

- ECU - Standalone or Piggyback

- Intercooler

- Intercooler Pipework

- BOV

- Clutch depending on gearbox: Stock won't last long even on low boost iirc

- Ideally some gauges to monitor goings on: Oil Temp, Oil Press, Fuel Press, AFR etc.

- Engine Oil: Different grade from stock

- A damn good service prior to starting

- Injectors will be on 100% duty cycle with low boost so they won't last long either

- Labour for fitting, swearing, alterations, more swearing and extra small bits and bobs (nuts, bolts clips etc.)

- Mapping

The items highlighted in bold are the items that I would recommend you don't cut corners on. Buy proper stuff and buy it once. I could add a good few other items to that list in bold such as a good ECU but it seems as though you are on a budget. It CAN be done on a budget but the guys that managed it came across a few problems along the way. So prepare yourself.

I would buy a used kit as you will get everything bolt on and tested.

With a kit like that, you will need to pay a welder to weld the IC pipes, downpipe etc.. it will most likely cost more in the long run and more work.

There's nothing wrong with an Ebay manifold, my friend just made over 1100hp with one. Another friend has done over 20k miles with an ebay turbo and it makes good power. But quality control is an issue, as you might not know which china maker will make the turbo.

If you are set on doing an NA-T conversion I would speak to Paul at Whifbitz about the kits they do, he'll be able to price up everything you need. May not seem the cheapest route, but if you are wanting a reliable car at the end of it then it's the way I'd go.

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/turbo-upgrades/turbo-kits/garage-whifbitz-2370.html

Realistically a reliable NA-T conversion is going to cost you roughly the same as buying a decent Supra TT auto, just something to consider before you start. Another thing to consider is resale value, if you ever want to sell on the car it'll be very difficult to shift an NA-T Supra.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Charlton - That was a Garett Turbo. Perhaps read the description of the video - it links you a picture of the turbo.

Of course I read the description, although, I couldn't see where it said where or how it was purchased so it could of been a cheap knock off from the internet. I bought a pair of Ray Bans in Thailand for a few pounds, they must have been real because the guy said so and it says Ray Ban on the lenses.

Known and reputable brands have spent a lot of money in R&D into their products for a reason, hence their price. Whereas cheap unknown eBay kits are knocked up in China with no testing for minimal cost and maximum profit. I really hope we don't see a blown engine/turbo post from you.

As other members have said, these are cars you shouldn't really be cutting corners with and going for cheap. Just trying to look out for a fellow member that's all...