The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quality issues with Recaro's

Jellybean

I really did not want to start a thread on this , but to say I am pee'd off is an understatement ; I paid alot of money for these seats

Issues

Two nuts on each seat were threaded, the company who I bought the seats off (Official Recaro UK dealer) decided it was acceptable to sit the bolt into the hole on either seat and hope in the anticipation I would not notice , laziness I cannot stand especially when you are paying premium dollar , I fixed this myself after 2 hours per seat , feeding a new nut into the shell with string and centering it with a tweezers

New issue is one of the threaded seat base holes has , what looks like a piece of slag on it , I cannot get the bolt to thread onto the welded nut, any idea's how to remove the slag from the hole?

I am trying my best not to send these back to the UK

Pics:

Its difficult to photograph

Guest Nicholas

I thought this thread might be coming, didn't the seat supplier do the carbon rather than Recaro themselves? probably hence why it's back together like that. Do you know if it's even real carbon? may just be hydro dipped standard plastic.. I'd be on the phone to them.

I thought this thread might be coming, didn't the seat supplier do the carbon rather than Recaro themselves? probably hence why it's back together like that. Do you know if it's even real carbon? may just be hydro dipped standard plastic.. I'd be on the phone to them.

I know Thanks !

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't look like real carbon in the pic.

Its not

If you've tried to fix them yourself in any permanent way, you may struggle to get your money back, or even replacements as they will deem you have "modified" the seats.

I didnt open the seats or anything , there's a gap in the rear shell you can get your finger in to place the nut , its just awkward

I woundnt even attempt to take the seats apart , only reason why I did it myself , if they needed to take them apart they were going straight back

Gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when you can see just where all your hard-earned went in terms of build quality, doesn't it?

Sorry the seats have turned out to be less than expected, I think I'd be returning them out of principal at this stage mate.

However if you do decide to keep them, and as others have said, the spot of weld (I don't think it is slag myself and will have a better grip) might knock-off with a small pin punch or, even better, a small sharp chisel, then run the right tap through it to clean up any burrs.

Poxy workmanship all the same, can't expect much from anyone these days it seems.

Good News , I found this mystical magical bolt in my tool pouch , it worked!

As it is an open ended nut welded to the seat frame, ( opposite side it is a tight space between the seat cushion and the nut ) ,I was able to get this small bolt with the same thread pattern threaded and without touching the seat cushion.

I threaded it down the barrel and it removed the slag, just tested the Recaro bolt from the correct side and it is all working as expected now !

Bit of luck!

Hopefully thats the end of the issues