The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to forum - Supra hunting

cered

Just joined, hoping to get a Twin Turbo GZ or a high-spec model in manual or with an aerotop.

Currently driving a 2006 Alfa Romeo GT (Diseasel), sold my 1996 Mazda MX5 1.8 before Christmas to pay for a kitchen (It somehow went from £3k to £5k...) so now I need a new monster for my garage.

Thanks, would love to but working till 10pm I'm afraid.

Never sat in a Supra before so trying to get all the info I can before wasting peoples time with test drives. Already owe this forum £10,000. Nearly bought a targa from a High Wycombe based dealer before I saw their (various) histories/bacgrounds on Google.

Never sat in a Supra before so trying to get all the info I can before wasting peoples time with test drives. Already owe this forum £10,000. Nearly bought a targa from a High Wycombe based dealer before I saw their (various) histories/bacgrounds on Google.

haha yeah this is a great place to find out information and history on cars, everyone is so helpful too, no worries im sure there will be another meet arranged soon and would be happy to take you for a drive so you could see what they are like :)

I'm glad people are heeding the warnings about that crooked company :) Welcome aboard. :) There's a nice red NA aerotop in the classifieds at the moment which would make a nice base car :) whether you buy one already done, or build one yourself, a TT aero 6 speed manual is going to cost you circa £15k. Don't dismiss the auto, as it is a great gearbox.

haha yeah this is a great place to find out information and history on cars, everyone is so helpful too, no worries im sure there will be another meet arranged soon and would be happy to take you for a drive so you could see what they are like :)

Yeah will definitely make an appearance. Haven't been to a car meet in a few years!

I'm glad people are heeding the warnings about that crooked company :) Welcome aboard. :) There's a nice red NA aerotop in the classifieds at the moment which would make a nice base car :) whether you buy one already done, or build one yourself, a TT aero 6 speed manual is going to cost you circa £15k. Don't dismiss the auto, as it is a great gearbox.

Definitely a lucky find, a few posts were far too accurate to be rumours too, e.g. "having cars for low prices on sale for years" and the Supra I intended to view/buy I saw on sale from them circa August 2014/October2014. So something is definitely dodgy there. I'm not looking for a power build so I don't intend to go swapping gearboxes or adding turbos - I'm a manual guy through and through (plus supras with two-step antilag, rev limiters/launch control etc sound incredible) so a manua; twin-turbo is the dream. But autos seem to be a solid buy anyway so I'd conform for a Supra, ideally with an aeroroof.

Yeah had a scour through the classifieds and intend to message a few people when I have the access to. I'm guessing it's a post count thing or is it awaiting admin approval?

all right hand drive aerotops were only made in automatic mate so you would have to do the conversion yourself or buy one already converted, as mentioned above though the auto box is very good :) you have to pay your £10 joining fee to gain access to everything (like contacting sellers) but is £10 very well spent as the information and help you will find on here is priceless :)

all right hand drive aerotops were only made in automatic mate so you would have to do the conversion yourself or buy one already converted, as mentioned above though the auto box is very good :) you have to pay your £10 joining fee to gain access to everything (like contacting sellers) but is £10 very well spent as the information and help you will find on here is priceless :)

Aye I get you, having researched automatic Supras a bit I'm not going to pass up a good one just because it's got a handle instead of a stick.

What's the easiest way to tell the difference between models? I'd rather have one with cruise control, electric mirrors/seats, leather etc but trying to tell the difference between an SZ and an SZR (?) is a little tricky

EDIT: I've messaged a few people about their Supras, I'll prolly be parting with that £10 soon

Edited by cered (see edit history)

Aye I get you, having researched automatic Supras a bit I'm not going to pass up a good one just because it's got a handle instead of a stick.

What's the easiest way to tell the difference between models? I'd rather have one with cruise control, electric mirrors/seats, leather etc but trying to tell the difference between an SZ and an SZR (?) is a little tricky

EDIT: I've messaged a few people about their Supras, I'll prolly be parting with that £10 soon

I could be wrong here but as far as im aware there is no way or determining that, the bodies all look the same (apart from UK Spec and of course the aerotop roof on aerotops lol) however you may find this post helpful....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

I could be wrong here but as far as im aware there is no way or determining that, the bodies all look the same (apart from UK Spec and of course the aerotop roof on aerotops lol) however you may find this post helpful....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?59334-Supra-Guide-and-Model-Differences-Chart

You're a gentleman and a scholar, thank you

Welcome, Take your time, swat up on the car always good to know exactly what you are looking for.

There is a helpful what to check guide here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

Good luck in your search.

Thanks! Been going through that today, lots of info. Certainly given me a few specific things to check for. I think I've narrowed down what I want, a 1995-1997 RZ 6spd manual twin-turbo. Not bothered about what colour it is. Need to drive the auto and the manual though, see which I prefer though. Definitely a car that needs research before jumping in and buying

Thanks! Been going through that today, lots of info. Certainly given me a few specific things to check for. I think I've narrowed down what I want, a 1995-1997 RZ 6spd manual twin-turbo. Not bothered about what colour it is. Need to drive the auto and the manual though, see which I prefer though. Definitely a car that needs research before jumping in and buying

I have had both Auto and Manual (although the manual I am using for the track)

The Auto box is a lovely box for its age, very smooth, quick changing and a pleasure to use.

It also has a manual mode which means you can select 1st 2nd and D if you want to feel more involved.

The Manual is pretty agricultural (Clunky) however that inspires confidence when changing gear and is more involved to drive (it being a manual).

I have had both Auto and Manual (although the manual I am using for the track)

The Auto box is a lovely box for its age, very smooth, quick changing and a pleasure to use.

It also has a manual mode which means you can select 1st 2nd and D if you want to feel more involved.

The Manual is pretty agricultural (Clunky) however that inspires confidence when changing gear and is more involved to drive (it being a manual).

Thanks for the advice, yeah seems to be the case. I'm not against buying an auto, but would prefer a manual (I think). I think my main concern is I'd lose a bit of the fun factor with an autobox. All these videos of Supras hitting rev limiters and spitting flames... Appeals to the twelve year old in me.

How's the economy differ between the manual and auto? And I think the manual mode is what changed my mind about Supra autos - how does that box work? E.g. do you start up the car, set it to manual and gears 1-2-3 are manual then if needed fourth gear kicks in automatically. Or do you need to keep switching on manual throughout the drive?

You could see if Martin J is still interested in selling his.....it's in your neck of the woods and has a long forum history and would be a good buy IMO.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?310841-TT-auto&p=3905109#post3905109

Didn't spot that in my classified trawling, looks incredible. I'll see how I get on with a manual & an auto before making some solid decisions. That does look like a bargain though

Thanks for the advice, yeah seems to be the case. I'm not against buying an auto, but would prefer a manual (I think). I think my main concern is I'd lose a bit of the fun factor with an autobox. All these videos of Supras hitting rev limiters and spitting flames... Appeals to the twelve year old in me.

How's the economy differ between the manual and auto? And I think the manual mode is what changed my mind about Supra autos - how does that box work? E.g. do you start up the car, set it to manual and gears 1-2-3 are manual then if needed fourth gear kicks in automatically. Or do you need to keep switching on manual throughout the drive?

I'll be honest I will never know the difference in Economy between a Stock TT Auto and a Stock TT Manual.

My Manual is for track use only and therefore Economy does not come into it :)

IIRC the Auto I used to get around 20 odd MPG on a normal drive. I think its around 22-25 MPG on a manual, others can verify.

Lols, aye I get you. Bad enough my diesel Alfa only averages 34mpg, just a topic that interests me for some magical reason.

I've spoken to Jurgen so importing may be a way to get what I'm after, just need to save up a bit first... funny how budgets don't tend to last when car shopping? :innocent: