The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advice needed : Japan Racing JR-12 : JDM DISTRO

supramat

I'd be quite suspicious. They simply can't have in the best of raw ingredients or processes behind them. Cheap wheels are often heavy and that will negatively affect dynamics. I'd make sure that any wheel you buy is an improvement on the stock 17's or the Lexus 18's (which come in at your budget) otherwise there's no point. Also, tyres...don't scrimp in them too and consider the recurring cost of them then you choose a wheel.

I know David , owner of JDM Distro , Japan Racing wheels are really nice , the also do the replica CCW Classics JR10

Few guys run them in the drifting scene , I know of 2 members running the JR10 on here , must be a bout a year now (JakeG)

Paul had the Jr12 on his S14a , he got them off Dave

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10157233_636789223075241_2236057095837358237_n.jpg?oh=53898989d0f1683c2c48d82dbd4da49f&oe=552201DC

Iirc JDM distribution generally deal in 2nd hand parts so look at what you're getting closely; I almost bought a set of wheels from them for a steal....until I realised there were only 3! Lol. Was quite clearly listed, I just didn't look properly!

Iirc JDM distribution generally deal in 2nd hand parts so look at what you're getting closely; I almost bought a set of wheels from them for a steal....until I realised there were only 3! Lol. Was quite clearly listed, I just didn't look properly!

They also do new parts , just most people with Jap cars are cheap asses so there is no market in new parts :p

they are made from "aluminium alloy material", ive been looking at another set and JDM Distro have told me this, so maybe a mixture of metals?

Strictly all 'alloys' are a mix of metals. No wheels are pure aluminium as it's not suitable. Copper, manganese etc are added and various %'s and the heat treatment given to the mix can vastly effect the strength of the material.

So forged alloys will be of a high quality aluminium alloy and then I suspect subjected to a long heat treatment post forging, this yields a strong and light (and expensive!) product. Cheaper alloys will have lower grade aluminium alloy, will be cast and to have the required strength will have more material and so be heavier.

I know David , owner of JDM Distro , Japan Racing wheels are really nice , the also do the replica CCW Classics JR10

Few guys run them in the drifting scene , I know of 2 members running the JR10 on here , must be a bout a year now (JakeG)

Paul had the Jr12 on his S14a , he got them off Dave

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10157233_636789223075241_2236057095837358237_n.jpg?oh=53898989d0f1683c2c48d82dbd4da49f&oe=552201DC

Discount? ;)

Strictly all 'alloys' are a mix of metals. No wheels are pure aluminium as it's not suitable. Copper, manganese etc are added and various %'s and the heat treatment given to the mix can vastly effect the strength of the material.

So forged alloys will be of a high quality aluminium alloy and then I suspect subjected to a long heat treatment post forging, this yields a strong and light (and expensive!) product. Cheaper alloys will have lower grade aluminium alloy, will be cast and to have the required strength will have more material and so be heavier.

Thanks for the science :)

I was told their 18" weighs 10.5KG which is not alot IMO

I was told their 18" weighs 10.5KG which is not alot IMO

It might not seem a lot, but compare it to a decent forged monobloc wheel, such as the Enkei RPF1, which weighs 3kg less per wheel. But as it is rotating mass, the difference is far greater than that measley overall 12kg might suggest.

Always buy a decent second hand set of wheels over new cheap ones imo.

Lots of people around here with very nice motors run Japan Racing wheels without any problems whatsoever. Very nice wheels very well priced.

lots of brand hoes on here, TBH I would luv a brand but cant justify spending 3k on a set of wheels so these will do and i'm confident there not shit, there website has like over 200k likes (admit alot wont be wheel owners but majority will be)

lots of brand hoes on here, TBH I would luv a brand but cant justify spending 3k on a set of wheels so these will do and i'm confident there not shit, there website has like over 200k likes (admit alot wont be wheel owners but majority will be)

Exactly.

People are quick to diss JR wheels and yet there are tons of people on here running Rotas which are in essence the same.

£500 for a set of brand new wheels to go on a supra is asking for trouble IMO. I wouldn't even consider putting them on my daily driver let alone my supra.

I agree not everyone has 3k to spend on a set of wheels, but using that as an excuse to buy the cheapest, lowest quality set of wheels you can find is ridiculous.

There are plenty of good quality second hand wheels available at affordable prices. 2 minutes on eBay and I found a very nice set Rays wheels with a starting bid of £700, in good widths and offsets. If I didn't already have a set of Rays wheels for the supra (which I will add I bought second hand for around £500) I would look at buying these.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251798596542?nav=SEARCH

Just goes to show you don't need 3k for branded wheels, and for not much more cheap new crap, you can get good quality second hand wheels.

I'd happily dis Rota's too :) I've seen the results of their QC.

I've seen plenty of memes going around about Rotas, but if they are good enough for race and drift teams as well as plenty of respected members on here then they're good enough for someone on a budget.