The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car security advice?? :(

Glanza_Mike

Hey everyone,

So i had one of my neighbours pop round my house this evening and tell me that last night at about 2.30am a couple of guys were checking out my car with another near the end of the road as a look out :(

I decided to drop my car off at my moms this evening just incase they were thinking of coming back tonight but id like some advice if i can please!!

Ive decided im going to pick up some decent locking nuts tomorrow already incase it was the wheels they were after but im considering either a full wheel disklok or one of those quick release steering hubs, do you guys recommend either of those over the other?

Im kinda leaning towards the quick release as i hear even though the diskloks are good they can still be removed in like 2 minutes!! If you do think the quick release is worth it wheres a good place to go for them and the steering boss for a Supra? Cheers!

Pull both the EFI fuses it will crank but it will never start....

Won't stop them pushing it I suppose.

If somebody wants your car they will likely take it garage it is the best option.

Yeah mate i did consider something like this. I would certainly like some solid visual deterrents though as well. I dont really want them even trying to break in, even though i realise i cant stop that potentially happenening.

Aftermarket steering wheel and quick release hub?

Yeah that was the one i was considering mate! Have you tried this or know any good/bad products?

I found these but the Tip function would need something fabricated to work.

Like Jays merc flappy paddle kit he put together.

Sorry mate was there a link you meant to put in that post to a steering wheel?

Can you not just leave it at your mum's for a while. Is the car parked on the road or on a drive normally?

Any chance of renting a garage?

I could leave it at my mums but thats just a pain as its my only car and shes a few miles away for me to collect it when i need to use it. Also, something needs to be done about the securtiy anyway because it cant stay at my mums forever and if it isnt these guys coming back it could well be some others :(

Car is parked on the road normally, I dont have a drive, im going to be building a garage for it this year but not immediately so just need some short term security fix.

have you got a decent alarm with a proximity sensor ? soon puts them off when it does off when there near it

No to both of those things mate, ive considered that too, its quite a pricey solution and ive never been all that keen on those chirping alarms when people get close they seem very sensitive? Do you know of any one in particular thats very good?

Edited by Glanza_Mike (see edit history)

Sorry mate was there a link you meant to put in that post to a steering wheel?

I could leave it at my mums but thats just a pain as its my only car and shes a few miles away for me to collect it when i need to use it. Also, something needs to be done about the securtiy anyway because it cant stay at my mums forever and if it isnt these guys coming back it could well be some others :(

Car is parked on the road normally, I dont have a drive, im going to be building a garage for it this year but not immediately so just need some short term security fix.

No to both of those things mate, ive considered that too, its quite a pricey solution and ive never been all that keen on those chirping alarms when people get close they seem very sensitive? Do you know of any one in particular thats very good?

I use the clifford 650, i think it cost me around £250 - £300. The sentitive of the chirping sensor is up to personal preference, my car is usually parked on the driveway so i had mine set up quite high.

Also you can temporary disable the chirping sensor depending where you go. Its all in the user manual how to set it up but i would use a good and recommeded fitter.

Or already mentioned pull the Efi fuses

I would strongly recommend you fit a car alarm. Doesn't have to be one with proximity sensor but a aftermarket alarm will help put people off from doing bad things

Edited by Dim Sum (see edit history)

I use the clifford 650, i think it cost me around £250 - £300. The sentitive of the chirping sensor is up to personal preference, my car is usually parked on the driveway so i had mine set up quite high.

Also you can temporary disable the chirping sensor depending where you go. Its all in the user manual how to set it up but i would use a good and recommeded fitter.

Or already mentioned pull the Efi fuses

I would strongly recommend you fit a car alarm. Doesn't have to be one with proximity sensor but a aftermarket alarm will help put people off from doing bad things

Do you like the clifford 650? And does the chirping thing not go off every time a cat decides to stroll past the car?

You could always put a "NA" badge on it.

:D

If you need a short term thing I would try to rent a garage near youre house.

Also, car alarm and quick release hub putting the weels to one direction would make stealing a lot harder.

Yeah i've been looking at car alarms for the past couple hours now, the clifford 650 and Toad ai606 look good, trying to find a decent fitter in Birmingham, i don't suppose anyone can recommend a good one in the West Midlands?? I'm currently looking at motor guard.

as Dim Sum said

I have a clifford concept 650 as well I think I paid £350 Fitted and ceritfied, but that was 9 years ago, the reason I bought the alarm was becuase 3 days after I bought the supra low lives poped both my door locks trying to steal it ,

whats the point having an alarm that goes off once they have smashed a window or damaged locks and actually in the car , the proximity will put off most eveyday car thievs but not the pros but still would slow them down.

it doesnt go off at cats but if people walk close ( with in 3 ft ) it goes off

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

I have one of the older models of Clifford, concept 350 and it has a chirp function its pretty good, i was parked at my mrs house and it chirped, some fat kid was close looking at the car. You usually have to stand close for a few seconds for it to chirp but scares most people off. I want to upgrade it at some point, I like the sound of Abz's alarm cant remember the model but it includes remote start from your iphone app :)

With the alarm you can add a feature which is anti tilt or something like that where the car is off balance the alarm will go off. There, are quite a lot of options on this alarm system.

Yeah i saw, it's like an extra £80 or something, i guess i could add that instead of locking wheel nuts not sure i can afford both atm :O I'll have to have a think as to which one would be better.

I have one of the older models of Clifford, concept 350 and it has a chirp function its pretty good, i was parked at my mrs house and it chirped, some fat kid was close looking at the car. You usually have to stand close for a few seconds for it to chirp but scares most people off. I want to upgrade it at some point, I like the sound of Abz's alarm cant remember the model but it includes remote start from your iphone app :)

Haha, while that sounds cool after you've showed ur pals once i think the novelty would wear off pretty soon lol Unless ur turning ur Supe into a RC car?? :D