The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Carputer" applications and ideas???

CJ

I am looking to install a "carputer" that will operate through a touch screen in my dash. I have so far identified the following as being programs / applications that can be used:

MP3 player (from stored files on PC hard drive)

DVD player (off PC hard drive)

Sat nav system

FM Radio (hopefully)

RLTC

E-manage

Now, whilst that is an already impressive list, I am sure there are other applications / programs that I am forgetting about. I am not too interested in X-Box or PS2 (I am an old git :p ) but would welcome suggestions as to any other things you think could work.

How about a PC based carputer that would come up on your alpine screen that you could have a remote keyboard and mouse that would enable you to tune Emanage or AEM on the onboard screen instead of having to put a laptop in all the time . This way you could datatlog, tune ,listen to music and even have onboard cameras that you could record onto the hard drive on race meets ect ect all on the one screen as well as do all the the stuff you mentioned.

Hiya Mig

Thats what I had in mind already and have the E-manage ready to rock and roll. The screen is a touch screen that is conected to an in car PC and can also accept a keyboard input. It will take the place of the head unit and will power the speakers through seperate amps.

Web access, so you can post on the BBS.

Car servicing database software that you can store all service schedules, mods, etc.

I was thinking of both of them but wasnt sure that I actually need them in a car system as I already carry a PDA around with me. :)

There you go then you are 1/2 way there. Don't ask me how to do it LOL I can come up with ideas but when it comes to Computers I have a tallent ......a tallent to fcuk them up :blink:

I am lucky that I have a "man" to do it all (just as well 'cos I would feck it up too), just needed more ideas as to what else to go for

You'll have GPS based camera detection with the SatNav software, so the Snooper will be redundant.

Oi, who asked you? Mind your own business pal - oops, I mean Master! :p :D

So, it looks like there wll be a Snooper jobby for sale soon. More money for project "Relaunch"! :thumbs:

...and handy for parking, especially where curbs are concerned. You could take it further and have cameras installed in the wheel arches on all four wheels so you can view how close you're getting to things.

A guy at work told me about a friend of his who had forward facing cameras installed in his door mirrors so he could see down a line of traffic without moving out too far.

So you could end up with eight cameras in your car and flick between them all to monitor all kinds of things.

What about a TV tuner, if you're in the mood to watch things or stuck in traffic. The aerial would suck though.

Get a USB hub single port so can be mounted into Dash (neatly) somewhere so you can plug a USB dongle with your latest songs into it and play from it or upload to the PC.

Installing Top Sound Card and running your car system through it, then removing your Car stereo and replacing with the DVD drive from PC (allowing VCD playing as well or music CD still), so can play movies simply. Just would require longer IDE leads and power Leads and bit of patience in wiring it right. Perhaps you could install the 2 USB in second DIN slot in a panel, with a firewire port and any others you may need or want for easy access

For TV u can get flexable Diveristy aerials, u can put round edge of Windows that you can barely see really.

You want wireless LAN on there, then you can get in your car in the morning and download the mp3s you fancy for the day off your main PC. Or upload logs so you can have a look on you PC when you get in etc. And you could park up in a WiFi hotspot and get internet access.

Oh, and make the thing voice activated. I've been working on speech recognition stuff for a while now, it would be quite easy to use one of the desktop dictation packages to make all your "carputer" functions voice activated...

Well Taz will have both a car cpu to do what CJ suggested (already setup and waiting to go in when the car arrives) and some nice countermeasures to ensure I dont lose any more points (if you get my drift).

Migs, I will need to find an effective way of mounting the laptop and your ideas would be appreciated when I pop round m8.

The system I have sat on me worktop at the moment and ready to install is:

*Mini ITX Case - head unit sized so will slot straight in place of my head unit.

*1 GHZ processor - is biggest can get in such a small case

*512mb RAM

*100GB hard drive

*CDR-W / DVD drive

*External Sound card with 6 RCA outputs to feed amps

*7" Touchscreen

*USB 802.11 Wireless LAN device - so can connect to home network

*Bluetooth device for connection through Mobile phone

*Sat Nav

*Camera control unit for up to 4 cameras Wireless @ 2.4ghz

*2 camera infrared - 1 for front view 1 for rear view - in car for driving vid's etc

Running Windows XP with software for Sat Nav, DVD's, VCDs, Mp3's, Camera recording etc etc etc.

There's other bits and bobs too, just gotta find time to get in installed into me car.

I think In Car Computers are the way to go, you can do soo much with them and they dont cost the earth neither.

Hornet