The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another annoying what's it worth thread.

Graham1984

I was at the garage today having my rear brake pads changed and noticed a tiny pea sized bit of lacquer peel on the front drivers side wing. I think officially I have now had enough of my car and want it gone.

I always enjoyed having the car and mechanically it's been fine, just sadly the cosmetic side is letting it down now. Normally/previously I would soldier on and get it sorted but after having an Mri last week and with how much my knees been hurting lately, I think I'm going to be back under the knife and out of work for a while, so the cars got to go.

At the start of last year I had the rear quarter panels resprayed and the rear bumper which was not a great colour match in the sun (which annoys me) worse still is that lately the two rear quarter panels have started to micro blister; although only tiny tiny bubbles it ruins it in the right light/angle. The company that did the work have gone; leaving me in the lurch frankly (see my other thread for details.

The front bonnet needs a respray due to lacquer peel and has done for a year but I was in no hurry as they keep relaying the roads around here so I left it. The wheels also could benefit from a refurb too and the rear tyres need replacing soon.

The cars a 1994 NA manual 5 speed with (after checking) 89k miles on the clock and drives fine since I've owned it. The cars had the following done since I've owned it; and that I can find the documentation for:

57,825 miles- Plugs and dizzy cap and rotor arm

59,128- Clutch replacement

61,756- Aux belt and timing belt

Forgot to put mileage- Full set of tyres and an oil change

69,873- Full new Toyota pads, Monkpowers lowering springs and Bilstein shocks (check my feedback link for the sale info)

71,112- Ht leads,Rocker cover gasket, Iridium spark plugs, Refurbed alternator, Dizzy cap/Rotor arm

75,531- Oil change

77,123- Brake fluid,Diff fluid, replace gearshift cradle, Clutch kit (other one was faulty and covered under warranty)

82,686- Full tyres and oil change

86,100- Oil change, Dizzy cap/Rotor arm, Recon starter motor.

89k+ -Rear pads.

89k+ two new Kumho tyres fitted

There are other things I didn't even record, or forgot too. The rear passenger side spring I brought went saggy so I brought a brand new set of NA specific Tein S-techs from Rummy a few months ago (check my feedback link for the sale info)

Minus the above the only other things I have brought for the car is:

Likwidart badges.

Uk glass headlights (check my feedback link for the sale info)

Srd speaker brackets (check my feedback link for the sale info)

Sony Cd player with 4x Alpine Spg17c G type speakers

Some 4300k Hids

Whifbitzs 2.5 twin box cat back exhaust (check my feedback link for the sale info)

Whifbitzs 2.5 1st/2nd decat (check my feedback link for the sale info) I've actually brought 2x the first decat as I had a period with

Whifbitzs gearshift bushes.

Barneybrendan's aftermarket manifold, and then reverted back to another Whifbitzs 1st decat.

Mines ecu (not currently installed)

I always swore to myself that when I stop caring about the car I will get rid of it. I'm not sure if it's due to personal reasons or that I'm just giving up on it but I can't afford to repair it and I'd rather let it go to someone who can spend a few £££'s on it to enjoy it properly.

The problems with the car IMO minus the paintwork and the wheels are small:

Whilst removing the passenger door card when changing the speakers, I was fishing for a screwdriver I knocked into the drivers footwell and the door slamed shut making a tiny nick in the door card (the bit you cant see when shut)

Annoyingly my ashtray/change store broke yesterday when 5p got stuck down the back of it and I shut the ashtray causing the spring to brake (now held shut by tactical blue tack)

Has an aftermarket steering wheel for purists.

A previous owner (I've never smoked in the car and actually have quit) has smoked in the car and made a burn in the passenger footwell Iirc and there is a small mark on the roof. The mark on the floor is covered by the mats (although fine I'd personally replace them too)

Not sure if the aerial connection is installed into the cd player, or broke or the aerial's not working as I don't have a ten foot waving aerial when the radio's on. Sadly still picks up radio 1 fine but seeing as I just have a usb stick I've never been inclined to investigate.

I have what I would of thought is a rear fog light switch... as above I've never bothered investigating that either nor do I have rear fogs. I know Heclers pcb's are cheap anyway, although it might be something simpler.

Tiny dent on the bonnet if looking at the right angle; looks like an acorn has landed on it.

Tiny bit of bubbling (rust??) on the boot and on the drivers side skirt. The paint is there and fine but needs treating.

I have a rare Mines ecu which started playing up a while ago, might be something small like a dry solder joint although where the window was not 100% sealed it might of just got a touch of condensation by it and had a fit. I previously had it installed and it did something similar..... removed it.... left it a couple of months... put it back in.... enjoyed it for a year..... then it went odd again and has been removed since.....

On the plus side I have a few spare bits for someone to take.

1x 235/45/18 Brand new Kumho tyre (problem with previous delivery so next time I need a set of fronts I/someone else only needs to buy one.

10 litres Toyota long life red coolant

900ml of Titan Atf 4400, similar amount of Titan race gear fluid and about 1litre of Gulf RF800 synthetic brake fluid.... and a fule filter.

I think that's enough of my moaning, I'll give it a clean and take some photo's or just burn it tomorrow.

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

I would estimate somewhere between £2200-£2500 because of the paintwork issues. You could probably advertise it at £3K and see what interest it draws and be open to a reasonable offer.

Cheers for an honest opinion. it's much appreciated too. I'd accept £2700 in all honesty but wouldn't really want to go much (if at all) sub that due to it being cosmetic. If someone who can get good rates at a sprayer/or is one themselves, they could chuck a grand at it and still get a good deal.

I was in the process of working out what the parts are worth actually :D

I'm so anal though which is why that extra pea sized bit just set me off. I think for my current situation I just need a crappy car to run around in so I can save some money, and not have anything to be too bothered about.

The thing that's worse is it doesn't seem long ago it looked like this vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=22870&d=1380484694

I know somewhere that does 100 quid a panel in cambridge. They did an amazing job on the sills and front bumper. Honestly best value spraying I've seen: sills went front this: image

To this:

It was like new after!

I honestly don't rate most bodyshops now because they did such a good job for the money and other bodyshops are a total rip off.

If you wanted it sorting I can find out the details for you :thumbs:

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

To fix micro blistering properly all the paint has to come off, i can't see anywhere doing that for £100 a panel,

its a red car and trying to match it panel to panel is nigh on impossible i'd have thought

This. The fact the last place has gone and the new owner said he would strip the lacquer and have a look for £150 per rear quarter panel, due to what you said I declined, as unless the issue is between paint and lacquer it will just return.

Been there and done it Graham, cutting corners on paintwork usually ends up

costing you more in the long run, like most things i'm afraid.

Even if you got a £100 per panel job the whole car really needs doing so its over

£1k doing it cheaply

In your shoes I would just live with it for now and save for a full re-spray. Selling it is never going to be worth it. Someone would be looking to offer at least 2k under market value just to cover the re-spray hassles..... even when it can be done for around £1-1.5k if you shop around.

If you re-spray it, you then get market value for it which would mean the re-spray really didn't cost anything. By that point you'll be in love with the car again though and not want to sell :)

In your shoes I would just live with it for now and save for a full re-spray. Selling it is never going to be worth it. Someone would be looking to offer at least 2k under market value just to cover the re-spray hassles..... even when it can be done for around £1-1.5k if you shop around.

If you re-spray it, you then get market value for it which would mean the re-spray really didn't cost anything. By that point you'll be in love with the car again though and not want to sell :)

That's good advice Scott cheers.

You should give yourself some and finish and keep the car.