The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I'm Going to Have to Break Her!

Scott

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel with the car. I've been plodding along trying to finish the project but I just lost interest in doing it. Everytime I get a little spark in me to get something done, something else goes wrong and I just can't be bothered with it anymore.

Today, I managed to get it idling as sweet as a nut only to find the passenger footwell getting wet from what appears to be a burst heater matrix. It's not surprising really, as it sat there doing nothing for ages... but it's feeling like the straw that broke the camels back.

I have so many nice parts on this car that it's a shame to break it, but unfortunately it's the only way I'll make any sort of money from it so it really is my only option. This isn't a rash decision, I've been thinking about it for a long time. I would need to think about whether another Supra would be the right choice for me, as in my entire ownership I've done 6k miles (since 2007). It was always more about the project for me than actually driving the car.

Anyway, I'm going to sleep on it and weigh up my options etc. It's either going to be getting broken, or shipped to somewhere like SRD to have it finished off. The latter option may seem like the best one, but I would probably just end up selling anyway so it wouldn't really be worthwhile.

If I do decide to break the car it will be done in sections, I'll be stripping it down over the weekend and shipping out the parts I take off as and when..... rather than taking a whole load of money off of people only to leave them hanging around for ages waiting.

Also Scott....Man the hell up! You've almost finished it. :)

I almost finished it 3 years ago mate. The last 3 years has been me pottering about with it un-interested. In 6 months I had the whole thing stripped down and rebuilt to pretty much the standard it's at now, minus a few bits that needed welded.

I really... really... really.... can't be bothered. I'm more excited about stripping the thing down and getting it down to nuts and bolts than I would be getting it running. I like taking things apart and putting them back together, the rest is a mediocrity to me unfortunately...... and when things start going wrong it just makes me all the less interested.

I'm now considering my options. I'm at the point where I've already broken the car down and sold it all off in my head, what do I do then? Do I get another and make it mine, where the fun is, then sell it again.... or do I just get something else interesting?

My head's up my backside now tbh. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do.

I'm normally ridiculously impetuous but I'll be taking my time over the decision. I don't want to end up regretting it, although I no doubt would.

I'll start by writing out a list of the stuff I would be stripping off and selling, price it up.... and take it from there.

I know all to well about how it feels to lose the interest in a build, and like you i get far more enjoyment out of spending hours struggling just to undo one part, or trying to figure out how parts come off. Mine has been stood in the garage for 4 years in August, and before that was a healthy Bpu'd 6 speed that pulled and drove faultlessly all day long.

Back in 2011 i planned on replacing every hose, gasket and part i could, and really wanted to max out my setup, so i spent hours and hours really enjoying the strip down, i ordered all new parts including a new Rad, exhaust, better decat's, pulleys, injectors, plugs etc, i was also in talks with Paul at Whifbitz about cams, new hybrid turbo's, FMIC's and anything else i could think of. But then for the last 3 years i just never find the time, or have the motivation to get out there and finish it off. I know to most it will look like its a few hours from being put back together, but having not been fired up in so long, i have no idea what problems will arise, as well as things like tyre's being scrap now and brakes probably seized up.

I loved the looks the car got back then, and have really missed just being able to walk outside and drive it, wished id never messed with it now :(

Back in 2011

For the last 3+ years

Edited by SupraD06 (see edit history)

We're in exactly the same position mate. It'll be 4 years in August for me too.

If I hadn't stripped it down and rebuilt it though, I'd have sold it. That's why I'm wondering if there's any point really.

Good advice with the matrix though. I think i'll do that, strip out the dash ready for selling and see what happens :)

I'm going to go with 1 last harrah.

87209-14800

87209-14810

87245-1B300

87248-14230

87248-14240

The above will totally refresh the heater matrix hoses/pipes. I'll also order a new heater matrix from demisterman. Worse case it'll cost me £100 or so quid and a few hours worth of work. If it works out, then brilliant. If not, it's getting broken. Last chance saloon.

Went through similar with the ZR. Changed the water pump (therefore cambelt etc) at christmas. Filled it all up with coolant and for some reason it wasn't cycling round properly or air was in the system. Now it looks like the head gasket has blown.

After a week off it swearing and moping about I've come to terms with having to dismantle it all again.

Went through similar with the ZR. Changed the water pump (therefore cambelt etc) at christmas. Filled it all up with coolant and for some reason it wasn't cycling round properly or air was in the system. Now it looks like the head gasket has blown.

After a week off it swearing and moping about I've come to terms with having to dismantle it all again.

Is that the vette zr? or mg, set fire to it mate:d

Funny I thought about you braking this the other day, what I would do if I was in your position is get someone to finish it for you and just enjoy it for a while,

On another note , my heater matrix has been bypassed for the last 2 years, I dont take it out in the wet or seriously cold any way , but then again I dont live in scotland.

Best of luck with what ever you do with it though