The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rechroming/restoring rims

Dash Rendar

Does anyone know where I can get chrome rims refurbished? I've got a set of TrafficStar DTS Chrome rims (the same as Richard Hammond has on his Dodge!) that came with the car when I purchased it.

Unfortunately, the previous owner decided to clean a wheel up with 'Wonder Wheels', an acidic product which removed much of the chrome! And the wheels are curbed too!

I've emailed a few alloy-restorers, but no one seems interested in rechroming.

Please let us know if you have any joy as there are a few of us with exactly the same problem...the problem is despite having them re-chromed (if this is possible)

...the brake dust eats in v quickly and unless you are cleaning the wheels every day then this will no-doubt happen again..Chrome rims look great but a pig to keep in tip top condition especially if you are using your car to drive.

...especially if you are using your car to drive

For a few short seconds I thought I was in the minority in actually driving my Supra!!! :stickpoke But I do know what you mean.

If I do get any joy, I'll let you know.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit short on cash at the mo' so I probably won't be having any real work done in the immediate future... but I'll certainly investigate.

It's a shame to have such fantastic wheels and then watch them go down the crapper. :(

It's a shame to have such fantastic wheels and then watch them go down the crapper. :(

I know what you mean...my wheels look so crap now Racing Hart CR's and the like are just such High Maintenance..they are more for show and not really suited to the rigours of everyday driving....mine lasted about 3 months then they went down hill v quickly.

I may just get them laqued in silver because then I wont have to clean them every 5 minutes....wouldn't buy them again...I have to say though this is the same story with ALL aftermarket aloys that I have had...they are all very poor qaulity and dont get the rigouress testing as the manufacturers own alloys get..there are also safety issues...as one customer of Halfords found out after buying a set of Fox's which virtually disintigrated during a slight accident...it all ended up in Court.

I've not got my chrome Do-Luck's yet, but in preparation I've bought some of this Wheel Wax so when they arrive the first thing I'll do is apply this before I take them to be fitted.

Hopefully, I can keep them looking a little bit bling for a while. The British weather and winter driving doesn't help at all, does it?

I've already corroded my polished spoiler with the salt in the air on the motorway. :mad:

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay in getting any answers.

The only place I can find who will chrome / rechome rims is http://www.chromeworx.com. They say they are the only re-chromers in the UK.

The bad news is that they want nearly 400 a wheel (plus whatever it costs to have them split). More than I can afford. :violin:

The alternative is to have the chrome stripped off yer wheels, and then get them highly polished. This is much cheaper. I've found plenty of people who will polish them up, but I can't find anyone who'll do the stripping... Well, I've found someone who'll strip them, but he has to do it mechanically and makes no guarantee as to whether this will do the job well or not. He says I might end up having to paint them and that's a risk I don't wanna take. :(

Sorry for the delay in getting any answers.

The only place I can find who will chrome / rechome rims is http://www.chromeworx.com. They say they are the only re-chromers in the UK.

The bad news is that they want nearly 400 a wheel (plus whatever it costs to have them split). More than I can afford. :violin:

The alternative is to have the chrome stripped off yer wheels, and then get them highly polished. This is much cheaper. I've found plenty of people who will polish them up, but I can't find anyone who'll do the stripping... Well, I've found someone who'll strip them, but he has to do it mechanically and makes no guarantee as to whether this will do the job well or not. He says I might end up having to paint them and that's a risk I don't wanna take. :(

i wouldnt have thought removing the chrome would be too much of a problem. theres lots of chemicals available to do this such as wonder wheels etc etc :D :rolleyes: . let me know how you get on as this is my problem at the moment too. im only down th3e road from you as well.

lee

Probably the best company in UK are Pristine Wheels. They are used and recommended by Mercedes, TVR, amoungst other big names.

3-piece wheel refurb ~ £180

1-piece wheel refurb ~ £60

They don't do re-croming there but do have somone that they use for the plating process. Everything else is done on site.

link to Pristine Wheels