The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo reccomendations

Tsia

Hi all,

I've already used the search function and only pulled up relatively old threads, so figured I'd ask myself:

I'm aiming for circa 550-600 hp and I've got my heart set on a Garrett at the moment (although I'm starting to be tempted by Borg Warner turbos)

What would people's current recommendation be? So far it seems like a toss-up between the GTX3582R and the GTX3576R. Anybody have experience with either turbo?

Cheers :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Garrett / Honeywell are the largest manufacturer of turbos in the world. I have owned many cars with Garrett turbos, including a Supra with a GT35R and a 200SX with a T25. I have never had an issue with any of them.

They are so good, that HKS base their turbos on Garrett units, as did Precision.

The GTX3582R is probably the best 600hp range turbo on the market IMO. Not just because it performs extremely well, but because there is a large service industry catering to Garrett turbos to fall back on. Not so with Precision, in fact does anyone rebuild Precision turbos in the UK yet?

Many people swear by BorgWarner, I haven't used them myself.

....if I was to build another fast road Supra...

This stipulation seems to get used quite a lot in conversations about turbos.

My question is why is there a difference between what works well on the road as opposed to a track?

And surely the same characteristics that make a car quick on the road would apply on a circuit too? (Fast spooling, similar boost levels, predictability)

When people differentiate between a road set-up and something else are they talking more about a drag car than a grip focused race car?

Sorry for the off-topic but I'll be following this thread closely as I may be looking for a suitable single for a 1JZ, the difference is that mine is not a road car, but a (race) track car.

I'm more or less wondering if turbo recommendations for a for a "fast road" 2JZ would apply favourably to a smaller capacity "racing" 1JZ.

I wouldn't say it's off topic at all! To be honest, I had my heart set on a Garrett, but if the S366 will give me very similar figures to a GTX3582R, then it seems the sensible option (far cheaper!)

And yes, it'd be 'fast road' I'm aiming for. I suppose on a road, you're starting and stopping more often, so spool is far more important, where as on a track you can keep the revs relatively high? /shrug/

The s366 is waaaayyy overkill for you hp-goal. Look into a s360 (83-75) or s362 (88-75) instead.

A S366 will make over 800 whp on a good setup! It's a great turbo if you're looking for more then your goal though.

Over here a s360 made just over 560hp (flywheel) at 17psi on 97RON and cast manifold, stock EU/USDM cams and 3inch dp and exhaust. AFC aswell for the naysayers ;)

Edited by 98HT (see edit history)

This stipulation seems to get used quite a lot in conversations about turbos.

My question is why is there a difference between what works well on the road as opposed to a track?

And surely the same characteristics that make a car quick on the road would apply on a circuit too? (Fast spooling, similar boost levels, predictability)

When people differentiate between a road set-up and something else are they talking more about a drag car than a grip focused race car?

Sorry for the off-topic but I'll be following this thread closely as I may be looking for a suitable single for a 1JZ, the difference is that mine is not a road car, but a (race) track car.

I'm more or less wondering if turbo recommendations for a for a "fast road" 2JZ would apply favourably to a smaller capacity "racing" 1JZ.

It would all depend on what sort of tracks you were driving on. :) although things like brakes, suspension, diff etc will differ to a greater degree between fast road and track cars, track based cars can afford to loose a little low/mid range performance in favour of greater overall power higher up the rev range, because they spend more time in that area of the power band. A decent spread of torque across the mid range is ideally what you want in a quick road car. :)

^what he said.

62 mm compressor is more than enough. And you could even go mid/ small turbine housing for good response.

Precision 6266 is slightly overkill for what you want. you would need to get the 6262 version or BW S362 like a few have said.

I would recommend the BW. It's a good turbo and affordable, and your obviously not looking for an expensive setup.

Any of the turbos mentioned will be fine tbh, if you want to feel what 6266 is like you're welcome a ride in mine.

Cheers Jamie - although I don't think I'll be 'disappointed' with any of the turbos, so as long as it has a decent spool and makes the anticipated power levels, them I'm happy, really. :)