The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rattle from rear left?????

uzzyuzzy

I can hear a rattle from rear left and when I go over a slight dip in the road it’s a loud thump noise and results in my tyre rubbing/bouncing up against the arch and being damaged.

Could this be top mounts on the rear suspension please advise as my local garages don't have a clue.

I currently have Bilstein OEM Supra Shock Absorbers on the car, a new rear one costs 250 and not sure how much the fitting will be.

Tein Street Advance Coilovers are on sale brand new for 516 but I've read bad reviews on these. Has anybody used them on here??

I can supply new German built Bilstein Sports at £130 plus VAT each. These are very similar to the OEM unit, but the valving is more modern and superior.

If the tyre fouls the arch at any point before the bump rubber is compressed on the damper shaft, (remove the spring, refit the damper, and jack up the lower arm to test) you have a wheel / tyre / offset incompatibility, and raising, stiffening or otherwise messing with suspension is just a crutch, and most definitely NOT a fix.

My experience of Tein has been all bad, I see dozens a year that leak, knock, rattle etcetera, even at modest mileage and with circumspect usage. Internal spares and rebuild kits seem unavailable. Bilstein or Nitron are the dampers I find most reliable unless you want to fork out for the "nice" custom stuff like Proflex, Sachs, Penske et al.