The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra N/A turbo conversion (xs power)

Guest Marco-na-t

Guest Marco-na-t

Hi there people,

After some advice really, I have a NA supra, (manual) and I've purchased one of these xs power turbo conversion kits 2nd hand but never been fitted so have no manual! 😔

I'm a mechanic so can work it out anyway, the advice I need though is that I have the e-manage blue ecu to be wired in, I've done my searching and found the wiring diagram so ok there, just wondering will this need to be fitted no matter what after the conversion?. as the kit came with some 550cc injectors and have been told I will only use them if I want to go for more power which consists of uprating the head gasket to lower the compression which I'm not going to do just yet so was not sure if I needed to fit this e manage unit, I'm guessing I will due to the fuel will need to be metered differently for it all to work properly and could I tune it up myself easy via the software I've also found online?

Also has anyone done this conversion before, any tips? Where did you run the oil return to? Cut and welded a return feed where into the sump?

Sorry for going on.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark,

Plenty of people have done the conversion, myself included on a previous Supra. Have yourself a search on the forum and there's plenty of info.

I ran the XS Power kit with some great results for the cost and I know of a few others running it also.

Feel free to drop me a PM and I'll offer any advice where I can.

Here's a vid of mine with the XS power kit running at 12.9 at 115.9mph :) Only at wastegate pressure of 7.5 psi.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/Rich_2211/media/129511583_zpsaf884539.mp4.html?sort=3&o=2

P.S get a new wastegate though because the XS Power items are garbage! Sorry to say.

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

I had an XS Power tubi kit fitted to mine. Please check the turbo thoroughly! My blades came off, shattered and tried to make their way to the inter poker.

The best part of this kit is the manifold, as long as it's the later one that has bracing!

I currently have the manifold and down pies, but turbo has been replaced. Am running with 650cc injectors an HKS Fcon pro piggy back ECU. No engine alterations on a stock tt engine and stock tt auto box. When last mapped was making 497 BHP at the wheels

Guest Marco-na-t

Wow, very good, I have a skyline r33 to but always had my supra, the skyline is running at 13.1 @ 108mph and that was thrashing it to, if the supra sits comfortably at 7.5 psi and gets that sort of performance then I'm a happy chappy.

Have to say that it's supra all the way, always had a soft spot for them, skyline was a mates got it of him cheapeish as I was missing the turbo buzz, now this conversion is happening I will have a bigger smile. 😀

Guest Marco-na-t

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, I will go over the turbo now you mentioned it thank you, the manifold is the braced one as I can see so all good there, also you say that no mods needed to be done on the tt engine, I'm fitting this to a 2jz-ge lump, the NA model as you probably know, I've read that it's ok to fit to this engine until I want to go for bigger power, like above 330bhp, this is right and ok still to fit right?

Again, thanks for replying.

Mark

Guest Marco-na-t

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback, what's the problem with the oil lines? The leak after a while or at the joints or just generally not very good?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, I will go over the turbo now you mentioned it thank you, the manifold is the braced one as I can see so all good there, also you say that no mods needed to be done on the tt engine, I'm fitting this to a 2jz-ge lump, the NA model as you probably know, I've read that it's ok to fit to this engine until I want to go for bigger power, like above 330bhp, this is right and ok still to fit right?

Again, thanks for replying.

Mark

You should be good for 10psi on the stock head gasket, some people have gone beyond that. Generally with the TT head gasket fitted you're good for 1 bar + (I'm unsure on the upper limit but I was planning on 1.5 bar with my setup).

message me if you need an info also, there's a few places you can add a brace to the block if you weld to the manifold its self, and the oil line is garbage, which i found out as mine snapped at 70mph on motorway and filled the motorway with smoke! oil all over engine and exhaust was a mess!

Might be worth sending Dr Jekyl on here a PM, as he's done a few of these conversions.

You could fit a TT head to your NA block, and use the TT plenum etc.

The problem you have with NA-T, especially with a manual 5 speed, is that the transmission is no good for tuning. With the autobox, you can have a hybrid box built by David P which is reportedly good for circa 500lb/ft. Your W58 5 speed is only good for maybe 300lb/ft. The common swap is for the R154 manual, but these are very expensive now, and of course the legendary 6 speed Getrags.

If you're wanting a fast car on a budget, you'd be better buying a TT auto.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Guest Marco-na-t

Hi,

Thanks for your advice mate, well I have the kit now so may as well fit it a lol, I don't have to use the TT head do I?? It all fits to the GE engine right?

May change things in the future but to be honest, this is just a project for now as will eventually get the TT Areotop Manual model, don't do auto's unless it's me merc, I should really sell all my cars and get money together and find a TT but my Supra I have now has a bit of centimental value, been a mechanic you seem to always aquire cars. Lol

Thanks for your response again mate 😊