The mkiv Supra Owners Club

US VVTI single Supra on Speedhunters

WayneW

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/01/the-eternal-supra-refining-an-icon/

Quite a nice example !

Very interesting what the tuner say about the use of a VVTI head (see the comments Under the pages):

" Thanks again Speedhunters for the kind words and amazing pictures from Larry Chen. Brent loves to share this car with other enthusiast. I'm glad he does, as it features the work that we do. In it's latest state the car is a blast to drive. Adding the VVTi head helped the engine make an extra 300 to 350 ftlbs of torque and same for total WHP vs the Non VVTi head. These gains have never been seen in the Supra game before from just a head upgrade, and moving the spool to almost 1000 rpm sooner with out the aid of Nitrous or any other type of gimmick was unheard of. I have added a picture of the dyno sheet difference between the VVTi head and non VVTi head. The solid red line is the VVTi power curve and the light colored line is the old non VVTi head. "

GiQkr0FrSjqTX7tfy7S6_2014-09-19%2002_43_06.jpg

I'm thinking of someone here on the forum who could be able to prepare such a same beast like that :rolleyes: :D

The right person :)

How many power do you expect with such a bild ?

Why is the VVTI head not so common on single builds ? Difficult to map ? No experiences ?

How many litre/km is 21 miles to the gallon ? lool

Depends on supporting mods but 800+Bhp I'd guess, but with super fast spool.

There is a few VVTI single builds, mines VVTI. It's just the cars are not as common as non VVTI.

Sharkey in the US is going down from his 80+mm 1400+bhp setup to a built 3.4 VVTi with CEA6870 turbo.

Will still make much more power than I'd want in a RWD car.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Yes I know, I was thinking of you ;)

really like this kind of build, but seems to be sooo much complicated than a non-vvti one.

I think there will be more and more VVTI builds because this will be the only way where you could find the last HP/torque on a 2JZ...

I'm dreaming a lot lol. I hope I could buy me a 2JZ-GTE this year to learn more about it.

Well since the 6466 already did 900 to the wheels with a cast manifold and 10:1 compression 3L, stock head and 3in downpipe/exhaust, I would suspect around the same numbers with a stroker. Can't see it push out much more imo.

All the tt Supras in the States are non vvti, that's why you don't see a lot of these around. Every usdm turbo vvti supra is converted.

I agree with JP, a 3.4L vvti must be an epic combo. Prefer a little higher compression like 9.0 or maybe 9.5 for our fuel.

Small quick spooling turbo like a 6466 ot 6766 would be awesome. I think there is a time attack supra in Sweden with this exact combo.

Or like Arnout built a few years ago: vvti big single + compressor = almost no lag :D

Edited by 98HT (see edit history)

Yes I know, I was thinking of you ;)

really like this kind of build, but seems to be sooo much complicated than a non-vvti one.

I think there will be more and more VVTI builds because this will be the only way where you could find the last HP/torque on a 2JZ...

I'm dreaming a lot lol. I hope I could buy me a 2JZ-GTE this year to learn more about it.

It's not complicated at all dude, no different than doing a single conversion to a non VVTI supra.

All the tt Supras in the States are non vvti, that's why you don't see a lot of these around. Every usdm turbo vvti supra is converted.

It's nothing to do with the Supras there beeing Non VVTI I think. Recently i've read some PMs from Titan Motorsports to a Friend of mine where they stated that the VVTI Head is not beeing used by them because it Flows much less than the Non VVTI Head(which isn't true).

Also there were many rumours that the VVTI is not as robust as the Non VVTI.

Over here we have 2 * 3.4 VVTI Stroker Supras one has a Borg Warner S375 Turbo on it the other is a HKS Big Twin Turbo(GT30s) both running Syvecs ECUs i've mapped. Both are absolute Torque Monsters despite putting out 1000+hp. The 375 puts out over 1 bar @ 2500rpm the HKS Big Twin over 1 bar @ 3000rpm... Crazy Machines :)

:thumbs:

I'm surprised by those gains, I knew vvti would improve the curves but not by that much.

I wonder if a dual vvti head would have improved things much further? I believe that the 2JZ-FSE is dual vvti, but that head is purely designed for economy and emissions.

It's nothing to do with the Supras there beeing Non VVTI I think. Recently i've read some PMs from Titan Motorsports to a Friend of mine where they stated that the VVTI Head is not beeing used by them because it Flows much less than the Non VVTI Head(which isn't true).

Also there were many rumours that the VVTI is not as robust as the Non VVTI.

Over here we have 2 * 3.4 VVTI Stroker Supras one has a Borg Warner S375 Turbo on it the other is a HKS Big Twin Turbo(GT30s) both running Syvecs ECUs i've mapped. Both are absolute Torque Monsters despite putting out 1000+hp. The 375 puts out over 1 bar @ 2500rpm the HKS Big Twin over 1 bar @ 3000rpm... Crazy Machines :)

Can you post more info and pics of those cars pls .... very interested. ;)

:thumbs:

I'm surprised by those gains, I knew vvti would improve the curves but not by that much.

I wonder if a dual vvti head would have improved things much further? I believe that the 2JZ-FSE is dual vvti, but that head is purely designed for economy and emissions.

the VVTI system was also designed to produce earlier low down torque I think..

Where are the difficulties to use the VVTI pullies from the 2JZ-FSE on a 2JZ-GTE VVTI head ? x)

I'm talking about smth I don't know, but everything is possible on our days... with money also lol

Luxluc do you have any link where the VVTI system on the 2JZ-GTE is explained ?

Because I thought the VVTI was only the pullies that affected the moment when the cams open the valves... depending on the rpm. I've never heard about the cams shape that's why...

Edited by WayneW (see edit history)

Where are the difficulties to use the VVTI pullies from the 2JZ-FSE on a 2JZ-GTE VVTI head ? x)

I'm talking about smth I don't know, but everything is possible on our days... with money also lol

Luxluc do you have any link where the VVTI system on the 2JZ-GTE is explained ?

Because I thought the VVTI was only the pullies that affected the moment when the cams open the valves... depending on the rpm. I've never heard about the cams shape that's why...

I think I read something on SF .... let me check ;)

It's not just the Pulley alone that is needed. See Picture:

24ay4ch.jpg

On the right front side you'll see the difference on the head itself.

The VVTI on the 2JZ does not change the Cam Profile itself, it changes the position of the intake Camshaft relative to the Crankshaft and the Exhaust Camshaft via Oil pressure. This changes the opening event of the inlet cam and the Overlap between the Intake and Exhaust valves. In the "base" setting the Overlap is minimal which helps Idle a lot. In the mid range the Camshaft is moved the most. With the bigger overlap big gains in torque are achieved. Acsending in the RPMs the Camshaft is then moved back to reduce the overlap so that top end power is favored.

The biggest difference is made by the Intake cam so that a dual VVTI won't make that much difference over a Single VVTI as with Single VVTI compared to Non VVTI.

@Lux Both cars have a fully built engine(what a surprise :) ), ported heads, the S375 uses BC Camshafts with 272 Intake/264 Exhaust(be carefull many VVTI Profile cams like the BC have a low lift, you can take the Non VVTI Exhaust Camshaft to work around this and keep the duration but on the Intake side you'll maybe have to go bigger. For examlpe the BC VVTI 264 Intake cam has only around 8.74mm of Lift where the Non VVTI has 9.52mm). The Twin Supra has Kelford cams with 286/282 cams(i can't remember correctly right now sorry!). As for pictures here is one of the engine Bay from the Big Twin Supra. I hope he doesn't mind he's on here too. :)

Sorry Pic to follow got an old one without VVTI Head on!

More Info on Power and Dyno Graphs will be coming in the new season :)

Edit here is the one without VVTI. I have a new laptop and i can't find the picture with VVTI. :(

Just imagine the Buldge on the right side of the head the rest stayed the same :)

3luaq9xv.jpg

Edited by CanisLupus (see edit history)

It's not just the Pulley alone that is needed. See Picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]195927[/ATTACH]

On the right front side you'll see the difference on the head itself.

The VVTI on the 2JZ does not change the Cam Profile itself, it changes the position of the intake Camshaft relative to the Crankshaft and the Exhaust Camshaft via Oil pressure. This changes the opening event of the inlet cam and the Overlap between the Intake and Exhaust valves. In the "base" setting the Overlap is minimal which helps Idle a lot. In the mid range the Camshaft is moved the most. With the bigger overlap big gains in torque are achieved. Acsending in the RPMs the Camshaft is then moved back to reduce the overlap so that top end power is favored.

The biggest difference is made by the Intake cam so that a dual VVTI won't make that much difference over a Single VVTI as with Single VVTI compared to Non VVTI.

@Lux Both cars have a fully built engine(what a surprise :) ), ported heads, the S375 uses BC Camshafts with 272 Intake/264 Exhaust(be carefull many VVTI Profile cams like the BC have a low lift, you can take the Non VVTI Exhaust Camshaft to work around this and keep the duration but on the Intake side you'll maybe have to go bigger. For examlpe the BC VVTI 264 Intake cam has only around 8.74mm of Lift where the Non VVTI has 9.52mm). The Twin Supra has Kelford cams with 286/282 cams(i can't remember correctly right now sorry!). As for pictures here is one of the engine Bay from the Big Twin Supra. I hope he doesn't mind he's on here too. :)

Sorry Pic to follow got an old one without VVTI Head on!

More Info on Power and Dyno Graphs will be coming in the new season :)

Edit here is the one without VVTI. I have a new laptop and i can't find the picture with VVTI. :(

Just imagine the Buldge on the right side of the head the rest stayed the same :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]195930[/ATTACH]

Awesome explanation .. thank you ;)

Bay looks nice.