The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lady reveresed into my supra this morning any advise?

supra_24

Went up my lane to traffic lights and stopped with a reasonable gap between myself and the car in front.

All of a sudden her reverse came on, so I beeped twice expecting her to stop.

She didn't and hit my font bumper cracking all the fiber glass to bits.

She claimed not to have seen me at first and the said that I should have reversed when she did.

She now stated that its a 50/50 accident as in I'm at fault too. I do not believe to be.

Contacted insurance so that's sorted.

Any advise. Will she get away with it.

Its about £500 to get a new bumper and respray.

Similar happened to me a few weeks ago. Was waiting to turn right with my foot firmly on the brake pedal, then I hear a terrific tyre-screech and BLAM! 206 right into the back of me. Tried to claim he didn't see that I had stopped, but as we all well know a person who hits you from behind is always 100% liable :D

Guest Beau_1990

problem is she may say she was sat at the lights and you hit her! and they will usually side with her!

time to get a dash camera? mine was only £10 but really good ones can be got for £50 ish

Filaments which are illuminated when the bulb breaks leave evidence. I think it's residue or burn marks, but that's where my knowledge stops :)

Pretty basic, but clever nevertheless. I'll have to remember that one if ever I were to be in a simular scenario.

This Happend two years back in my Micra, now I keep my dash camera on front and back view only 40 pounds records everything :.

My friend had a major accident few months back not his fault, the other party tried blaming him until he presented the secret dash cam evidence.

Cheers guys for all your help. I will be getting a dash cam.

Really upset about it all as I have only just finished having it all built.

At a slow speed would there be any other potential damage to the cars frame or rad? It looked ok when I inspected.

I have just heard back from the lady and she now is saying she may want to just pay for the work to be done if reasonable.

However I need a whole new jdl bumper which is £299 and it to be preped, sprayed and installed.

Should I continue with insurance?

Regards

Ash

You have to be very careful if not going through insurance. A thorough inspection needs to be done to ascertain what needs repaired/replaced. If you just got a bumper and fixed it up, any future problems would result in no come-back and could cause potential issues with future insurance claims.

If it really is just the bumper, prep, paint, etc... then I would get a quote for such work and go back with the price to her. If you quoted £600 just now, I would say that would be a reasonable guess.

Hope she has sent it in a text message that she will offer to pay for the damage! Then bam you have your evidence.

I would text her back with a quote and hopefully she responds in either "That is too much" or "That seems okay" to confirm she is taking liability.

They can prove if your reversing lights were on at the time of impact. Ditto the brake lights.

How? Just curious.

Filaments which are illuminated when the bulb breaks leave evidence. I think it's residue or burn marks, but that's where my knowledge stops :)

Pretty basic, but clever nevertheless. I'll have to remember that one if ever I were to be in a simular scenario.

Yeah basically if the lights are illuminated at the time of impact and the force of said impact is enough to break the lights/bulbs then tiny particles of the broken glass can end up being melted or fused into the filament due to the fantastic temperatures involved in lighting the bulb in the first place.

If forensics can detect glass particles on the filament remnants then they can assume that the bulb was lit at the time of breakage.

Best of luck to the OP, no way are you culpable if you were stationary.

Yep all sent to me via text ;)

So it seems I maybe in a good position to go either way now.

I'm having the cars front inspected by Horsham Developments Monday afternoon just to make sure there are no other issues caused.

As said when I had a good look all seemed to be ok.