The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for Bonnet Lifter Kit, your experiences of them and were you got them

DodgyRog

Guest Nicholas

Rog, use the gas struts from RS components, not cheap IIRC £130 a set and get Simon (Baldy) to make you some bonnet hinges. looks stock, no use of rubbish brackets and the struts are top quality.

Just a word of advice rog, on a grp or carbon bonnet, you'll likely still want to use the stock prop.

The struts fit to the hinges, so the entire weight of the bonnet is cantilevered back there, and you risk ripping the fixing points out of the bonnet.

On a stock aluminium bonnet, the the threaded bolt holes are captive nuts welded in, and much less likely to shear or rip out.

I've got the gas struts on my fibreglass bonnet, as they help hold it in square when lifted. Although the bonnet does stay up without the front prop, I wouldn't trust it personally. I still use it to be safe

I have the carbon set from whifbits with my TS bonnet.

Works a treat, lifts and goes down great, no strain on any part of the bonnet.

However, I have removed them, only because the struts are a little too fat for the bonnet, and I had to raise it at the rear slightly to get the bonnet to sit flush.

So just did away with them

I want them many to straighten the bonnet when left up at shows, did consider a 2nd bonnet stand bit, but think it will look a bit naff

I am happy to still use the one for safety

Al were yours okay when closing the bonnet, heard they can nee a far bit of force, which is a worry on a Carbon Bonnet

Do you want to sell yours Al

Al were yours okay when closing the bonnet, heard they can nee a far bit of force, which is a worry on a Carbon Bonnet

Do you want to sell yours Al

They were fine when closing the bonnet.

They only effecting the bonnet sitting flush due to the bonnet frame.

Think I've just seen your FB message