The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing bonded body parts?

Kendo11

Evening all,

One probably for the bodywork/paintwork experts.

I have an explosion spoiler bonded to my bootlid, and have a buyer for it as I'm changing the look.

To make it easier for me, I want to remove the spoiler from the bootlid.

However as I said it's bonded on so I'm not sure if or how it can be removed.

Does anybody have any experience of this, how easy it is and so on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Can get some better pictures later in the week if needs be.

IMAG1116.jpg

When I fitted car windscreens we used a thin square wire on T-handles and see-sawed it slowly through the glue keeping it wet to keep the heat down and trying not to snap the wire!

Doing it like this on such a shape will be a right pain in the arse as the angle of the wire will all ways want to pull straight ie cutting into the boot lid and scratch it to death too not saying carn't be done but will stress you out!! and prob cut into the spoiler if gets to a hard spot.

Sorry it's not gonna be a quick easy task if they really want it just swap boot lids as you say paints not a prob but damaging the spoiler and then losing the sale and your boot lid etc not a fun way to go

As said above the easiest way would be to use fine wire. On a shape like that though you will damage the paint, and I'd put money on you damaging the spoiler too. Only thing that may aid is if someone heats the boot lid from the underside at the same time to soften the glue. What was used to bind it on? If it is a decent sealant I wouldn't waste your time. Just get another boot and sell as is. New boots from Toyota arnt even that expensive. Around 600 iirc

The work involved to repair the boot after removal would probably out way the courier costs too.

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I posted a Celica tailgate cacooned in bubble wrap and cardboard with Paisley Freight and it didn't end well. It must've been too heavy for the driver to carry by himself and dragged it from what my buyer showed me :( Choose your delivery method and packaging carefully.

Looking again at your Explosion wing, I wouldn't try to remove it also. It has a very large area and bonding glue if good stuff needs a lot of pressure to cut through with the wire. Safest thing would be to sell it complete. There is a carbon bootlid up for sale it appears that you could replace it with. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?317238-Carbon-fibre-diffuser-and-carbon-fibre-boot-lid-for-sale-both-new-unused

We use MIG wire and wear some thick gloves! Difficult to not destroy the spoiler though, and the boot lid will be in a state when you get it off. Its difficult but can be done, we had to remove bonded fibreglass arches off a skoda fun (What a car I hear you say!) the other day as the arches are discontinued, MIG, thick gloves, time. Wrap the mig around a pair of 8" pieces of chopped up broom handle or something similar as handles.

Just looked at the picture, that is bonded and then smoothed in with quite a bit of body filler by the looks of it, which will make it more difficult. I would sell the boot lid too, far easier and you might be able to get another silver one to go straight on.

- - - Updated - - -

Braid finishing line, strong and you won't damage the paint.

Thats a good idea. We never worry about damaging the paint as we are always taking parts off to then fit new and repaint :)