The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC issue

hogmaw

Yesterday I came out of one of those tedious 50mph average speed zones on the motorway with a clear road in front of me and floored it, as you do. Car went sideways, but I managed to keep it under control and carried on. I was surprised at this as it's never happened before, and the RLTC was switched on. So how could this have happened? I'm beginning to think the RLTC isn't working properly. Either way it's making me a bit nervous to know if it could happen again; next time I might not be so lucky.

Guest Nicholas

Could well have been a spill on the patch of road or maybe some black ice due to recent weather, I wouldn't worry too much. Find a nice long dry patch of road and test the car a few times.

I had something similar with mine not working, when I had the car off the road for a period. If you have the one with the digital display, have a look at the wheel speed readouts, and make sure they are registering the speed at each wheel correctly. Mine weren't so the RLTC was basically doing nothing. Apparently it has something to do with the wheel speed sensors signal, and all I had to do was put a resistor in on each signal wire for each speed sensor to ground (I think - I will need to check again, as it was some time ago) to clean up the signal and it resolved my issue.

Honestly weather can't be an excuse for doing nothing... The TC should have reacted in any way,when working correctly, even if there was an Ice patch etc...

Powerful RWD cars + winter can sometimes not be a good mix. Especially with a 20+ year old chassis/technology, It doesnt take alot for it all to go wrong.

Powerful RWD cars + winter can sometimes not be a good mix. Especially with a 20+ year old chassis/technology, It doesnt take alot for it all to go wrong.

Don't get me wrong but I HAVE been driving "powerfull" RWD Cars in the winter and am actually driving my Supra ATM through ice and snow. Additionally i have mapped RLTCs and other TCs and every TC WILL react no matter what the circumstances are if it senses that the wheel Speeds differ. So No, weather is not an argument for a working RLTC to not react in any way if it's working correct ;)

I'd test the TC on a slippy surface as Chris suggested and have a look if wheel speeds are recognized at all.

Edited by CanisLupus (see edit history)