The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie wanting a Supra. N/A - Turbo?

Guest m4rk205

Guest m4rk205

OK so I'm looking to live the Supra ownership dream BUT ideally want to start with an N/A to get used to a bigger and RWD car than my current car -

an ST205 Celica GT4. My GT4 has been my project for 4 years now and I'd say theres £10k in it. The only things untouched are the engines bottom end and gearbox. I live right near the Lakes and love throwing it around the B roads and it gets tracked too.

I really dont want to sell it (because it wouldn't be cost effective and shouldn't cost much too run now I've rebuilt it) but would like a manual N/A Supra to work on and build up to single turbo. I have a Garrett GT3070R that I'm going to get rebuilt as a side project (originally to go on the GT4) but I've decided that rather than forge the GT4 and fit a big laggy turbo I'd rather buy a Supra.

So my question is, how much more cost effective is it going to be to buy an NA Supra, then buy a 2JZ GTE engine and convert to turbo? Plans would then be to swap in the 6 speed box and get the Garrett on with stand alone management, fuelling mods yada yada yada...

I ask because I'm seeing NA manuals for £3k, 2JZs for £2k and real deal TT6s for £10k. My mate is a very good mechanic and wouldn't charge me £5k for a conversion so to me it makes sense but I'm just a newbie so I could be wrong! Any help appreciated lol

If you want a TT6 supra your better off saving and buying a genuine TT6. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle and money in the long run. There's buying the na for around £3k for one in good condition. £3-4k for the 6 speed box. And another £2k for the engine plus labour and other parts.

Then there's not knowing the history of the parts you buy and running into various issues along the way.

If you want a TT6 supra your better off saving and buying a genuine TT6. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle and money in the long run. There's buying the na for around £3k for one in good condition. £3-4k for the 6 speed box. And another £2k for the engine plus labour and other parts.

Then there's not knowing the history of the parts you buy and running into various issues along the way.

Exactly as this gentlemen has said.

You'll also need to factor in the 2JZ-GTE's & 6 Speed boxes are getting very hard to get hold of now.

Really? I've seen probably 4 or 5 up for sale over the last 6 months, and that's just on here.

Don't think I have seen that many TT's come up that often. When I looked for a TT engine it took a good 3 months to find just one for sale which wasn't buying an unknown engine off a pallet. I know a couple of guys who are looking for TT engines and apart from the eBay one which is nearly enough £4k and has been there for ages not much else is around. With the engine being in so many non Supra's the chances of finding a good one is only going to go one way.

Guest m4rk205

Yes, I appreciate the feedback and valid point that it would maybe not be too cost effective to do it the way I propose, BUT if I went out and bought a car on finance or got a loan out I'd pay more back in the long run anyways.

My way means that I can buy the car, restore parts that need work, get used to the FR setup and the characteristics of the car whilst it is mildly powered (a lot of people have more money than skill and bin RWD cars) avoid debt and build it up gradually i.e run 2JZ-GTE with the 5 speed box for a while before I go for the TT6 Getrag box. I understand that parts maybe are getting rarer but its not too ridiculous to suggest a TT6 Supra being broken for parts or suffering a rear end shunt thus freeing up parts.

The plan is to have both turbo Toyotas for the next decade as my toys (full track spec GT4 to hoon around and a comfortable and eventually very capable road car in the Supra. So, it really doesn't matter to me how long the Supra would sit in different stages of development as I have a company car and another toy to play with :)

Yes, I appreciate the feedback and valid point that it would maybe not be too cost effective to do it the way I propose, BUT if I went out and bought a car on finance or got a loan out I'd pay more back in the long run anyways.

My way means that I can buy the car, restore parts that need work, get used to the FR setup and the characteristics of the car whilst it is mildly powered (a lot of people have more money than skill and bin RWD cars) avoid debt and build it up gradually i.e run 2JZ-GTE with the 5 speed box for a while before I go for the TT6 Getrag box. I understand that parts maybe are getting rarer but its not too ridiculous to suggest a TT6 Supra being broken for parts or suffering a rear end shunt thus freeing up parts.

The plan is to have both turbo Toyotas for the next decade as my toys (full track spec GT4 to hoon around and a comfortable and eventually very capable road car in the Supra. So, it really doesn't matter to me how long the Supra would sit in different stages of development as I have a company car and another toy to play with :)

I've decided to go down a similar path for the same reasons you mentioned. So far I haven't regretted my decision to start with an N/A