The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arch rolling and gearbox refurbing in my area.......

ShawnPreece

Hi guys I'm looking to get my arches rolled and wondering if anyone knows and can recommend any places that can do this that are localish to me, I live in hereford so anywhere from South Wales to West Midlands area is ok really.

Also I would like to enquire about getting a v160 gearbox refurbished so again wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that can do this too?

Thankyou :)

Awesome thankyou all for the recommendations, I had searched the forum and found they had been mentioned and saw the closest branch to me was in Oxford so was just seeing if there was any closer but as there's so many good recomendations il go for them as it's definitely worth it for a good job being done :)

Does anyone know of anywhere that refurbishes gearboxes that I can enquire about?

Why not roll?

And that looks like it's missing a chunk at the back.

How is cutting much cleaner and factory looking?

A roll only rolls the lip, so the factory line is still there, the shape doesn't change, no cutting or re welding needed, and is more cleaner, since you can't cut a bit to much, and you don't need to paint it after wards, or put any protection on, and a roll costs £80 tops for a few hours work.

Mine are cut ... Bodyshop I use have said they have found that some people who have rolled arches can rust in the later years..

Not saying that all arches rolled will do this though .. Just what they have found

However if you get them cut you may need your rear Qtr's painted. I had mine done when it was having its colour change so was eaiser for me to get mine cut

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Mine are cut ... Bodyshop I use have said they have found that some people who have rolled arches can rust in the later years..

Not saying that all arches rolled will do this though .. Just what they have found

However if you get them cut you may need your rear Qtr's painted. I had mine done when it was having its colour change so was eaiser for me to get mine cut

If you cut the supra arches, you need to weld them up.

But yeah, after rolling you can get rust in, if they've cracked the paint and not sealed afterwards

Just cut them till the spotwelds. No welding needed.

There are plenty of threads about this topic all with the same result where cutting is preferred.

Since this topic has been beaten to death, I will just copy and paste exvelocity:

'' Rolling is usually preferred to keep structural integrity of the panels avoiding the possibility of developing corrosion issues,especially for the guys up north. There are few negative points to rolling quarters on MKIV,the way the inner wheelhouse and outer quarter skin shaped and welded together makes the final result not smooth,if you'd look down the side of the car,you will notice waves and ripples right along the wheel arch, and no matter how careful it's done,the waves will be there, the second downfall is that rolling creates something I like to call a "window-treatment" effect, photos below will clearly show what I mean. The reason the "window treatment" effect happens is when the lip is gradually folded,the leading edge of the wheelwell arch is very rigid and placement of the spotwelds makes it tougher, the spotwelds will create resistance in the areas where they are and causing the leading edge to be slightly higher than the area between the spotwelds.For some odd reason MKIV is the only car I have come across that has this issue, I've rolled quarter panels on countless, sometimes I get 3-4 fender rolling jobs per week and can say all other cars is a cake and the results are smooth,wider quarters,because the structure on other cars is more flexible,so while rolling the lip, the whole edge of the quarter gets pushed out, not so on MKIV.I've also had metal split at spotwelds while rolling,I just can't remember if the quarter on that car has been replaced or it had factory welds.''

Pictures speak for themselves. Search....

In the end it's a personal preference, but I like cutting much and much better than rolled fenders. Even perfect rolled fenders don't look right to me.

ps: the picture above is missing the plastic trim in the back.

They must make crappy cars in the states.

I have never once, even on a facelift which is thinner metal got a wavy affect/ window treatment on the supra and I've done quite a few.

Some are on this forum, and not one has a single problem.

And that picture above is missing a lot more than the plastic trim.

Lol that's one of the most well respected bodyguys around. People travel thousands of miles to get their car done by him.

He knows his stuff period. There is a reason almost everyone in those topics prefer cutting. I've seen the window treatment here as well, so it's bs to say the cars in the states are crap.

I'm not here to change your mind though. Since I'm sure you didn't even search for comparisson pics or topics on about this subject... Have fun rolling your fenders :)

Lol that's one of the most well respected bodyguys around. People travel thousands of miles to get their car done by him.

He knows his stuff period. There is a reason almost everyone in those topics prefer cutting. I've seen the window treatment here as well, so it's bs to say the cars in the states are crap.

I'm not here to change your mind though. Since I'm sure you didn't even search for comparisson pics or topics on about this subject... Have fun rolling your fenders :)

Yeah maybe in America people travel thousands of miles to get body work cut.

Not in the UK they don't.

He may know his stuff, he may be the best arch cutter and panel beater there is.

I'm not trying to dispute that.

And I know the reasons about cutting and rolling.

The pros and the cons

Just so you know incase you didn't read it in my first post.

I was trained by the best company, by the owner of the best company on arch rolling in the UK, and I roll arches as a business so I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to rolling

And as I said, I've done many members supras, all my supras and many many many other cars, and not once have I ever had the "window effect" even on facelift cars that use thinner metal than pre facelift.

Ive been doing it for many years, and will continue to do it, just as many other places will.

And yes you will get dodgy jobs, mainly by people doing it themselves with the wrong tools, no training and no idea just after watching a YouTube video.

And yes I've seen comparison pictures, I've seen videos, I've even seen first hand the difference in cutting and rolling.

I've seen the damage that cutting can do on UK salty crappy roads, and if not done right will lead to huge problems down the road.

Hence why most people in the UK roll their arches and never have a problem and don't have to repaint their cars.

Much cleaner and factory looking.

In the end it's a personal preference, but I like cutting much and much better than rolled fenders. Even perfect rolled fenders don't look right to me.

Like I said I'm not here to change your mind. Just stating my opinion.

Show me one mkiv with rolled fenders where it looks factory. From inside the fenders ofcourse.

With cutting this is much easier to do imo.

I don't doubt your work at all! And I'm damn sure there are some clean cars around whith rolled fenders.

Just haven't seen them on MKIV's yet.

We are here to help each other out on this forum, and I'm just noting another option that might work well for the OP.

Like I said I'm not here to change your mind. Just stating my opinion.

Show me one mkiv with rolled fenders where it looks factory. From inside the fenders ofcourse.

With cutting this is much easier to do imo.

I don't doubt your work at all! And I'm damn sure there are some clean cars around whith rolled fenders.

Just haven't seen them on MKIV's yet.

We are here to help each other out on this forum, and I'm just noting another option that might work well for the OP.

You mean wavy on the inside?

Where you can only see with the wheel removed?

Yeah you will get a wavy line on the inside on most cars.

But with rolling it's still structurally sound and solid, cutting runs the risk of failure even if done right.

And you should need to repaint or weld anything after rolling, but yes cutting would be better if you were re painting or had the time and money.

You mean wavy on the inside?

Where you can only see with the wheel removed?

Yeah you will get a wavy line on the inside on most cars.

But with rolling it's still structurally sound and solid, cutting runs the risk of failure even if done right.

And you should need to repaint or weld anything after rolling, but yes cutting would be better if you were re painting or had the time and money.

Yes I mean the inside. But sometimes you can see it from the outside aswell, where it kind of deformed the wheel well.

Not sure how to say it actually, English isn't my first language sorry!

I had my arches rolled by Archenemy and they have gone wavy, just to say that it does happen.

He warned me it could happen and wanted to cut rather than roll, I said go for it anyway and I just accept the arches are wavy where the rivets are located.

I remember reading about this when (Iirc) Jamesy was going to have his done ages ago.

Mine's wavy on the outside, if you look down the wing you can see it quite clearly.

Is yours facelift JB?

Yes I mean the inside. But sometimes you can see it from the outside aswell, where it kind of deformed the wheel well.

Not sure how to say it actually, English isn't my first language sorry!

Yeah, that's usually by people not taking their time and heating it up properly, especially with facelift supras as it has thinner metal sheets

If you cut the supra arches, you need to weld them up.

But yeah, after rolling you can get rust in, if they've cracked the paint and not sealed afterwards

Mine did not have to have to be welded up, maybe mine was not cut that far, just have to watch out if there getting cut the heat and blister the paint and may need repainting..

Mine are cut, didn't have any problems with the paint with cutting them slowly and without a lot of pressure on the grinder.

Done that over a year ago and no problems at all. Obviously the edges were filed, prepped, painted and undersealed but no welding was required.