The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1jz conversion any advise please

Axl

So now christmas is out of the way time to start on the 1jz gte conversion on my na manual :) so my question is do any of you guys have any advise on doing this especially on the electrical side of this and also what clutch would be the best im not planning big power to be honest I'll keep it stock to prelong the life of the w58 as much as I can many thanks in advance :)

Have a look here.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/47216384/1JZ-GTE%20JZZ30%20Soarer

And here

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/41678224/2JZ-GE%20JZA80%20Supra%20Engine%20Wiring

Print out the parts for the body loom plugs and work out which wires go where.

I've got my paper work I can send you a copy of if you PM me your email. There are a few incorrect wires listed so will need checking over. But 90% right.

Couldn't say anything about the manual gearbox stuff as I'm using the auto box.

If you don't need the ultimate power and torque the stroked 3 litre 2JZ has, and like a turbine smooth, ultra sweet straight six, they are great engines. the wife's old Soarer just sounded gorgeous, and was so smooth it was a delight to drive.The 3 litre is a bit of a rough diamond in comparison. I think they are a fabulous engine, and as people have mentioned, they are much cheaper to buy.

If you don't need the ultimate power and torque the stroked 3 litre 2JZ has, and like a turbine smooth, ultra sweet straight six, they are great engines. the wife's old Soarer just sounded gorgeous, and was so smooth it was a delight to drive.The 3 litre is a bit of a rough diamond in comparison. I think they are a fabulous engine, and as people have mentioned, they are much cheaper to buy.

Chris would you say they have the same kind of unearthly famed bulletproofness that the 2jz has?

There doesn't seem to be much point revving the absolute nuts off a stock engine running BPU though, the power seems to teeter off fairly rapidly after about 6.5k rpm, a combination of stock turbos running more boost than originally designed for and stock cams restricting breathing even further.

I'll be addressing at least one of those restrictions in the very near future myself with a set of 264 cams & vernier pulleys but I might just tune the engine to improve the midrange as much as possible as opposed to all-out top end as I think it'll suit my needs better and will allow the stock turbos to work in a range that suits their characteristics/limitations.

Of course if the stock twins get the big heave-ho for a single sooner or later (please, please, PLEASE be later) I'll have to rethink all that and would probably pull the engine to upgrade the shells to take more revs.

• 2 months later...
Sweeter little engine, happier to rev as it's a square engine (stroke length equal to bore diameter).

But for most the main reason is probably the price difference.

It's also a lot less "torquey" than the 2JZ, so it should be correspondingly less likely to muller a W58. :)