The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Be or hsd coilovers....? Driftworks sale now on...

mclarenross

I've noticed driftworks have a 10% sale of everything at the minute, so you can get bc coilovers for £621 or hsd dualtec for £508, which I think is great value.

My question is for people who have got either of these, are the dualtec kit good? Or should I pay the extra £100 for bc's or should I spend a little more and get the hsd mono's?

It's for 95% road and 5% track, I would want them setup pretty firm, so I'd like to know how easy people had fitting the. And risking them in, have they later more that 10k miles, what's the ride like, any knocking? Do I look at the pillow ball ones? Or are they just a step to far...?

any thought or comments would be appreciated

And does anyone else know of a good sale on??

are the mono's that much better than the dualtec?

Not totally sure. The price would reflect a performance difference though. The dualtec weren't available when I got the mono's, I'm guessing they were designed with a cheaper valving system in order to lower the pricing. Mono dampeners are generally seen as better, at the lower end of the price range anyway.

Whatever you do, don't save a few quid now and regret it later on. Get the best that you can afford, even if it means holding off and saving a bit more.

Not totally sure. The price would reflect a performance difference though. The dualtec weren't available when I got the mono's, I'm guessing they were designed with a cheaper valving system in order to lower the pricing. Mono dampeners are generally seen as better, at the lower end of the price range anyway.

Whatever you do, don't save a few quid now and regret it later on. Get the best that you can afford, even if it means holding off and saving a bit more.

Agreed, I know the bc's are mono as well and seem to get in the majority good reviews,(the hsd monos are another £100 on top- although if everyone says there great, then probably worth forking out a little extra) i notice that the bc's come with a spring rate of either 14/8KG/mm or a 14/10KG/mm does anyone have a preference on these?

But at the same time you dont see many people reporting problems about the BC's either.

BC's, HSD's, Etc's, are never going to be high spec suspension setups, there can be no arguing against that point. If you want to go fast around a track you're going to need nitrons or something of that ilk.

That being said, for what we are generally after they are very adequate to the task at hand. Irrespective of what people think, they will often be positive about things that they have. It's very rare that someone remain objective about something they have bought. Ergo, you will rarely hear someone being critical of their current suspension setup. I'm very happy with the HSDs, I wasn't so happy with the Megan Racing coilvers I had previously..... too soft for me and a little noisier than I would have liked. I didn't like the budget Tein offering either, found them absolutely rock solid.

Buying again, for the same money, I would be between HSD and Meister-R. They are effectively the same dampener (I believe HSD makes them both) but the spring rates on the Meister R should be more forgiving on our roads. The HSDs, for me at the moment, are the happy medium. They aren't by any means soft, but they aren't too hard either.

I didn't like the BCs when I was fitting them to a friends car. They just felt really cheap. That being said, the drive was compliant enough. I believe Chris didn't like the cheap valving used in them..... same with budget tein offerings. HSD state that the valves are premium, I have no idea if that is the case though.

But at the same time you dont see many people reporting problems about the BC's either.

Most people will never track their car or put their car under any strain where these aftermarket parts will be challenged, however I would dread to pay top dollar for an item that is designed poorly and made from cheap materials that is probably going to cost in the long run.

Thanks guys, I am on a budget and I appreciate that I ain't going to get performance parts. Reading a lot of the reviews on this site the bc's seem to get a good a review and yeah I appreciate that I probably want to hear bad reviews of people that have had them and have had issues.... Currently looking at bc or the hsd monos.