The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to go next to achieve 5-600whp?

Guest Jamiesmkiv

Guest Jamiesmkiv

Hello everybody :) So I am a proud owner of a '94 TT supra and would like some advice and clearing up on BPU parts and where to go next for more powerrrr. So if I am correct for a BPU on a UK spec supra I need:

New exhaust system. Been looking at HKS Ti, veilside and boost logic. Recommendations?

De cat. Need to use a boost controller to raise boost to about 1.2bar. Any specific boost controller to look for?

Recommendation for the fuel cut defender?

Walbro or Bosch pump?

And a colder grade spark plug. So if all is done correctly my supra should be now running 400hp, but are we talking crank or to the wheels? After a BPU where would I start in order to get towards maybe 5-600whp? I take it new injectors, will sard 850cc injectors do the job? I'm guessing maybe new intake manifold and throttle body? Basically what mods will I need to do to up the power after a BPU. In terms of the turbo would a Garrett gtx turbo do the job heard good things about them. What Ecu would you recommend as well as Waste gate and do I need a bov? Sorry for the massive array of questions but I'm fairly new to tuning and would love to hear some advice of off fellow Mkiv owners :)

Edited by Jamiesmkiv (see edit history)

Guest Jamiesmkiv

For the BPU the stock turbos can handle around 400hp, but in terms of going even further improve basically just wondering of what all the necessary mods are and certain brands you'd recommend. I looked at the Garrett turbos but not sure which to go with, I'm new to all this:D

To go 600 whp you will need to be a manual box or if you are auto you will need to convert to six speed or built autobox and then look at my supra details which will show you some of the mods you require as you will need to go single and have a substantial budget to do it properly because you will also be in built engine territory as well. The best thing to do as a lot of members are aiming for is a properly sorted 550 to 650 fwhp which is the optimal street car setup for a Supra

Guest Jamiesmkiv

Man your supra is a killer. Would love mine to be like that:( Now, according to whifbitz, after the BPU An updated fuel pump, new injectors, an FMIC a new Ecu and clutch and a single turbo of course should be good for 600hp even on the stock block?

Stock unopened engine is good for 700bhp give or take, some make more. But I'd advice not to go above 700bhp. If you want a reliable setup I'd go with a fast spooling 60-62mm turbo with a cast manifold and around the 550bhp mark. You could also run 650cc drop in injectors which saves you buying a top feed fuel rail kit and larger injectors.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Guest Nicholas

IMHO the most fun you can have in a supra is with 600bhp, my current car makes over 1500bhp and whilst I love it, I have no where near the fun I used to have in my "jump in and drive" T67 DBB Supra, aim for 600hbhp and drive it in all weather conditions with a permanent smile on your face!

IMHO the most fun you can have in a supra is with 600bhp, my current car makes over 1500bhp and whilst I love it, I have no where near the fun I used to have in my "jump in and drive" T67 DBB Supra, aim for 600hbhp and drive it in all weather conditions with a permanent smile on your face!

;) Tis true!

To go 600 whp you will need to be a manual box or if you are auto you will need to convert to six speed or built autobox and then look at my supra details which will show you some of the mods you require as you will need to go single and have a substantial budget to do it properly because you will also be in built engine territory as well. The best thing to do as a lot of members are aiming for is a properly sorted 550 to 650 fwhp which is the optimal street car setup for a Supra

You don't have to go manual for 600 bhp?

Stock auto box is fine for 600 just need to run 2srd auto box coolers

Guest Jamiesmkiv

Thanks for your replies everyone, so with a new exhaust, FMIC, 850cc injectors, Walbro pump, decat, new Ecu and a decent single turbo I could run 550+ hp?

You don't have to go manual for 600 bhp?

Stock auto box is fine for 600 just need to run 2srd auto box coolers

Lee he was originally talking about 600 whp which would wreck a stock autobox in no time at all.

I didn't say he needed to go manual but would need that or uprated auto

Edited by jcbt (see edit history)

400hp (flywheel) is relatively easy and cheap with basic BPU modifications, on a UK spec you would need to remove both cats, fit a freer flowing exhaust and boost controller to up the boost pressure to 1.2bar. Above that it starts to get expensive, fitting longer duration, higher lift cams and ECU will gain you around 30hp more but that's about it with the standard sequential turbos.

Any more than that and it starts to become really expensive, throw £10K at it and you should be able to build yourself a reliable 500-600hp Supra. I'd start by having a look through the projects section and member garages.

Once you want more power and torque than "BPU" offers you need an aftermarket, mappable ECU. This will not control the soft changes that even the stock power engine was deemed to need to pamper the auto box. So you are looking at something like an S8 Syvecs, or an S6 with the gizmo to give more control outputs. Starts to get very expensive, very quickly. My personal take is beyond BPU you need to go to a Getrag six speed manual, both for relaibility and desirable gear ratios for a cammy engine.

Beyond BPU costs rise exponentially.

Was going to say bahaha if he just want 550-600whp then stock is fine but any more than your right in saying built/ 6speed would be the way to go

You say its fine, but depends how its mapped. If your not running a syvecs on a stock autobox, or atleast a ECU that can control the torque on gearchanges it will destroy a stock auto very quickly. Wildfire supra on the forum has a 550bhp single auto with a greddy emanage ecu and he's destroyed a fair few gearboxes in the short time he's had the car.

It helps to have 2x trans coolers and stick to around 500-550bhp to be reliable,although its heat and torque that kills autoboxes.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

Once the torque curve moves around as much as it will with a single turbo, or twin none sequential turbos, the whole ethos of a factory auto box, with stock TC stall speed and gear ratios, blah blah, becomes an issue. Quite apart from the added torque level giving the thing a lot more loading to accommodate. A higher stall speed TC is dreadful in a road car, creates a lot of heat, and makes you sound like a learner who is slipping the clutch excessively as you move off, to the uninitiated. Plus it will make it drink even MORE fuel ;)