The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of getting a supra

Guest cranness

Guest cranness

hi guys..

Im matt, 23, Cardiff, been thinking about getting a new car for a few months and after looking at an RX7, GTR33/34 and a TT supra iv decided to join the Supra forums to get some advise on a few bits.

Currently own an 07 na honda civic type r fn2 with a fair few bits added to it but after a year i think its time to step it up a notch especially as insurance has dropped a lot for me within this year.

Basically id be looking for a tt supra either stock or part modded (stage 1 probably) and id be looking at putting it up to about 450-500 brake.. main question would be realistically how much would something like this cost ish (car and mods).

thanks in advance

Matt

RX7 - not as much room, slower and engine very unreliable. - Great car to drive though

R33 GTR & R34 GTR miles apart sa far as GTR's go. GTR's great cars but dont have the same feel as a Supra and not as quick point to point on the real road.

If you have the £20k plus needed to buy a R34 GTR then you will get a fabulous Supra.

Once you start modding any of the above cars be prepared for far more expensive tyre bills than you are used to and more expensive servicing costs.

Good luck in your search, I hope you find the car your looking for :)

hi guys..

Im matt, 23, Cardiff, been thinking about getting a new car for a few months and after looking at an RX7, GTR33/34 and a TT supra iv decided to join the Supra forums to get some advise on a few bits.

Currently own an 07 na honda civic type r fn2 with a fair few bits added to it but after a year i think its time to step it up a notch especially as insurance has dropped a lot for me within this year.

Basically id be looking for a tt supra either stock or part modded (stage 1 probably) and id be looking at putting it up to about 450-500 brake.. main question would be realistically how much would something like this cost ish (car and mods).

thanks in advance

Matt

If you have been looking at RX7's and Skylines, and just the fact you refer to a Stage 1 modified supra, I think you need to rethink what Supra ownership would be like, they aren't cheap cars to own or modify and if your final goal is 500bhp, you're probably looking at 4-5 figures to get there properly.

Toyota's aren't like nissans and stuff like that and they will punish you for cheaping out on stuff, even basic things like SLDs and FCDs can present a multitude of problems if done incorrectly or on the cheap, not like nissans etc where you just whack them in and off you go. ( I know, I've owned 2 200sx's and an RX7).

Guest cranness

Thanks for the advise guys..

the goal of 450+ would be over a period of time and not all in 1 go.. id be happy with a stock and an exhaust change to start with maybe some trim changes on top :)

Matt

450bhp is achievable on the stock turbo's but that is at it's limit - You'd need to spend around £4k to be at this position (inc stand alone ECU).

Any figure up from that is only determined by your wallet, we have loads of folks running 1000bhp+ reliably on the forum which is a huge advantage on the Supra's.

Also not sure what experience you have with RWD cars but they are a HUGE difference to driving FWD cars when pushing it. This is also something to take into consideration.

Read up on this forum and if you can come along to a local meet and have a chat with anyone of us, maybe take you for a spin too, then decide which car you want to own.

Guest Nicholas

A decent TT 6 speed manual stock supra now a days is circa £12k if you can find one. Best to buy a bone stock one, learn how these cars handle and slowly mod it.

Don't discount auto TT's. You can pick a decent one up for £6k, half the price of a TT6. 6 speeds seem to have a following of being the be all and end all. Fact of the matter is, they're slower and the gearboxes are like something you'd find in a transit. Clunky and very agricultural feeling. However, if you're planning 500bhp+, they're worth looking at.

Forget "Stage 1" etc. There's BPU, BPU+ and then single turbo. BPU should see 380-400bhp, BPU+ 400-450bhp depending on mods and money, and then single turbo's range from 480bhp - 1500bhp, again, depending on how deep your pockets are.