The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Keeping 235/40 tyres from 18x9.5" to 18x8.5"

alxns7

Hello,

My front wheels are currently 18x9.5" +22 wheels with 235/40 tyres, so they are stretched. The former owner found a used set of four Volk TE37 off a GTR, all of that same size. It was probably a great deal but unfortunately finding used TE37 wheels in the right size is very difficult.

I'm close to finding wheels of the right size (18x8.5" +30, of which I believe the offset is the right one) and was wondering if just putting the stretched tyres on the new wheels would be a problem? I've never personally seen a tyre being fitted but was thinking maybe a stretched tyre would cause trouble fitting a narrower wheel? The tyres are fairly new (only 600 km on the 18x9.5).

I don't think it would be a problem but I might be wrong.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alxns7 (see edit history)

Unless the tyre sidewall was damaged due to being stretched I can't see any problem, a good tyre will return to its original shape once off the 9.5" rim and will suit the 8.5" rim much better.

I run 285/30 tyres on my 9.5" rears and 255/35 on my 8.5" fronts. Je deteste le stretch.;)

For the record, it is ok to use the same width rim front & rear on a Supra, it might tend to oversteer a bit more due to the levels of grip offered by similar width wheels & tyres but this may be to your liking.

Alright thanks for the input, i'm gonna go for it.

I want to change them because this +22 offset on 9.5" is just too much in the front. After some measures i think +30 on 8.5" would be the best, but 8.5" +22 would probably also be ok. The 9.5" +22 look great in the rear.