The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to take apart wing mirrors?

jazz1

Jazz it's easy remove the mirror and there are three screws

Turn upside down and remove the screws and the electrical plug (use a tiny screwdriver to remove the pins safely from the plug) you should be able to split it into two parts, lastly there are two screw on the underside remove them and it should all pretty much fall apart :) easy

Just remember which way the wires go into the plug!!

I have done this to 2 sets of mirrors heated and folding to make 1 set of heated folding mirrors its easy hardest part is getting the actually mirror off without braking it

Once the mirrors are off the car push firmly to tilt the mirror up so you can see underneath it at the bottom under the glass

After you have done this get a thin flat screwdriver that does not bend and you should see some clips underneath Gert the screwdriver under it and press down on the clip while pulling at the mirror at the same time I held the entire mirror between my legs to make it easier

But be warned I nearly broke mine as it was bending mine but the clips just would not come out of their housing

If it is a heated mirror on the inside I had a very large spring which I couldn't do any thing with as I could not find a way to remove it

However on the folding mirrors everything can be taken out

Whet are you trying to do with the mirrors and I will see if I can help further if it is to put heated mirrors on the folding mirrors there is a thread I put a little read up (no pics) but I should still have them as I took some when going along

Let me know

Pete

OK so here it is

Lay the mirror on the table flat and push on the top right corner on the mirror till it stops and then very gently gift the bottom left corner and it should move a bit more slightly

It should go from this

To this

Once that has been done you should be able to see a thick black bit of plastic behind it looks a bit like this

Another angle

The above image you can just see my screwdriver between the thick plastic and the actual mirror

Once you have done twist the screwdriver slowly until the mirror comes away from the plastic a little and then move further down the mirror and do the same all I did was slide the screwdriver down while it was still in between the plastic and the mirror glass

BE FIRM BUT GENTLE THIS CAN BRAKE THE MIRROR

Will look like this once you have done it

Once you have done this just push the bottom of the mirror glass back and it will come in off with ease

Yours will look slightly different as this mirror was a heated 1 eight the heater cable and mirror taken out

To put the mirror back in place the top hooked part in first and then push down on the bottom of the mirror until you here it click in place its a much louder click than what it is when the mirror is being moved manually (might need a little pressure)

Hope this helps

Let me know if there's anything your stuck on and I'll do my best to help

Pete