The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hid kit

Parry_10

I got my 55w slim ballast set on eBay for about £45 I had the same set on my last supra for 2 years..

The 55w are brighter than the 35w so aim to get the brighter ones in sure you know the drill.. Buy it, fit it, get the alignment/pattern checked.

There's too many bell ends fitting HIDs and not checking the alignment and blinding people...

Rant over the HID kits are hit and miss Jurgen fitted two sets of 35w units to mine on import both blew a ballast in 1 week but these 55w ones have been faultless so far fingers crossed.

I always go for 6k they go bright white with a tinge of blue.

4ks I have had start of blue /white then settle on a very pale yellow..

And 8ks just look dark blue

10ks are purple to my eyes

The 6k just have the right amount of blue tint to not piss of the police etc and seem to light up the road better than 4-8k units.

I'd recommend buying a kit that either includes a relay harness or to buy an additional relay harness (both are available to buy on ebay), so that the ballasts are connected directly to the battery. This will mean the ballasts always get sufficient voltage to fire up the bulbs and avoid any problems with the bulbs flickering or not lighting at all.

The ballasts need a minimum voltage to fire up the bulbs, if the voltage is a little low it can cause the bulbs to flicker or not light at all, on a Supra with 20 year old wiring it could be a problem. I've had this happen on a couple of cars, wiring the ballasts directly to the battery via a relay sorted the problem. Some kits come with a relay harness or they can be bought separately, it just means you shouldn't ever have an issue with them.

I know it's useless now but I'd go with the 5k, very crisp clear white light & looks completely OEM. Their was a chap on the forum who was selling HID's with 2 year warranty, I'd have to dig around but they were great quality & still running well after 3 years, especially considering mine switch on each time you unlock or lock the doors.

I know it's useless now but I'd go with the 5k, very crisp clear white light & looks completely OEM.

Exactly that, but 4300k as those are the brightest before they get less bright when you go up to 6000k, 8000k and beyond. For some reason people prefer less illumination and a more chav look with the blue tint you get from 6k upwards.