The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Drift Missile Build

Guest FullAttack

Guest FullAttack

Yo dudes..

It's been about a year and a half since I last went drifting, so a plan was hatched to get back behind the wheel..

Iv had this Supra for a while, waiting for time/money.. It's an NA Manual and pretty beat up.. I bought it from a mate who is notorious for destroying cars, I got it before he had chance to do too much damage..

I only drove this once before starting work on it, from my workshop to home, I took it back to my workshop on my recovery truck.. It was hideous to drive, all over the place, all the bushes were shagged, welded diff was breaking up, drive shaft CVs were floppy, just horrible..

So first up was a full set of StrongFlex Bushes, front & rear..

Then welded a fresh Diff and fitted it along with fresh shafts. Also added the solid diff mount couplers..

I fitted a set of Bilstien Shocks Iv had for years, they used to have springs with 2 coils cut off, way to low.. I ordered new springs 3 weeks before, they didn't turn up, I fitted springs with 1 coil cut off.. Sat and drove perfect..(don't have any pics)

I modified some front hubs to give me more steering lock.. This is the first pass, of many..

Did some safety stuff.. Bucket Seat & Harness.. Also made Harness Bar(it's in there good!)..

Fitted OMP Steering Wheel, Wilwood Hydro Handbrake & Bias Valve.. Might also notice I moved the original handbrake to the other side of the tunnel to fit my hydro closer to me..

Removed the battery and relocated it to the passenger side back seat, welded in so bars and made a battery tray etc..

The cut off switch and all the wiring has been redone.. The proper way.. The alternator wire goes to the battery side of the cutoff switch so it actually turns the engine off when tripped.. It then has new wiring to starter motor & fuse box.(wirings my thing..)

I made some tubular manifolds from a pair of GS300 vvti mani's.. Cut the cats off and fabricated the rest.. Can't really see it..

Also made a new bit of intake pipe between the TB and the APEXi hard pipe that came with the car.. The oem one with the boxes does nothing for me.. I tig weld and have many bits and bobs so knocked it up..

Had this Alu radiator in my stores for ages, it's a soarer one I think.. It fits.. Using original Couling and viscous fan..

I had a small amount of spare time, and Iv been itching to use this stuff for ages..

It's a load of PLX Devices sensor modules and gauges.. Bought it all off a mate a while back, This is the pretty much as good as gauges get..

Got an AFR, EGT, Temp x2, DataLogging Display Module.. Can add more if required, all runs on CANbus so wiring is minimal, has outputs to use for ecu inputs too if standalone.

(Ps Iv already started redoing the wiring I chucked in to make it work, will be neat soon..lol)

Did a few other bits to the car too but enough of that..

The week culminated in the much anticipated drift day at Lydden Hill Saturday just gone..

It was a fantastic day all in all.. Started by being late, missing my first session, blagging my way into another groups session and suffering the most hideous misfire..

Came back to pits, pissed about checking everything is plugged in right, messed with Ign timing(been disturbed before), was much better but still missing.. Went out for my next session, misfire... Came in, took all inlet off and took spark plugs out, all looked ok, nothing else looked wrong.. I gapped the plugs down(by eye(perfectly)) and chucked it back together, BOOM! It worked.. Out I went.. Drift I did..

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FullAttack

Went to wire in the water temp & oil temp sensors.. Shit got out of hand..

Iv ditched a ton of un needed wiring.. Iv also removed most the sound deadening from the bulkhead.. Also removed the Indicator/Lights Stalks and rewiring the controls to switches..

Guest FullAttack
I like this a lot....people always say n/a's are under powered and too heavy for drifting,glad to see your proving them wrong! I love skidding my n/a it makes it more challenging. Do you find you have to have mega entry speeds into the corners?

Mega MEGA entry speed required.. There's no such thing as 'underpowered'.. It's just a way of saying 'I don't know how to drive it'..lol

- - - Updated - - -

But don't get me wrong, skidding with power is nicer..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...