The mkiv Supra Owners Club

looking to buy a supra any advice

Guest sugi

hello, I am looking to buy a toyota supra with a budget of 4/5 for a good condition, or about 2/3 for 1 where i have to do a bit of work.

I done a bit of research as i know i would want to get a bit more power from the car

and from what i found was that its better to buy a turbo supra rather than the n/a because of internals stuff like that.

im not sure if thats right but i would like some advice on that if you can.

Also from what i found is that even if buying a twin turbo supra they always end up doing a single turbo convertion for more power.

can i just do that by buying a single turbo and changing the turbo or is the twin turbo engine better build for more power?

sorry i have been trying to find out but i cannot find anything that explains in detail.

any advice also i will appreciate.

Welcome,

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=35038&d=1147109846 is a very useful guide on here about what are the important factors to check out. there are several guides that are worth reading really

from my limited knowledge, If your looking for power then a N/A wont be much good as it is very limited and in the long run the money improving it would be better spent on getting a TT in the first place. If i recall correctly then the stock internals are good for around the 600bhp mark on a TT, though its the torque figures that kills gearboxes.

A lot of people seem content with BPU which is around the 400bhp mark

I'm sure someone who's is a lot more knowledgeable than me will be along before too long, but either way, Welcome

Welcome! Definitely download the guide to buying a Supra of here, its very useful indeed!

I would suggest trying to meet up with some members local to you, see if anyone will take you out for a drive, I would but I'm too far away. See as many as you can before buying, its great to modify and make the car your own, I love it, but getting the base right first i.e. N/A, TT, manual, auto, VVTI, facelift/pre-facelift etc will save you so much money in the long run over buying something that's not quite what you want.

Good luck finding what you want, plenty of options around for your budget.

It's all about what end result you want and how much money and time you're willing to put into it to get it.

If your happy with 400bhp a bpu twin turbo is the route you want to take

if you thinking of more big single turbo is the smart choice, but ether be prepared to shell out a good amount of cash and time doing the mods yourself or buying a well setup and put together single in the first place!

Choosing manual or automatic should be well considered to start with as a auto to manual swap can be very costly