The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Cover options

Jase2009

As winter has finally decided to arrive in London, i'm looking for a decent car cover. The Supe has just had a full bare metal respray and I need something that will do a good job at looking after the paintwork - ideally with UV protection as previously the lacquer on my carbon TRD spoiler went 'milky'. As the cost of renting a garage down here is about £3million a month, i've resorted to looking on the 'bay of e' for something suitable.

If anyone has any recommendations then fire away.

Cheers.

My advise would be not to use a cover. I have just had my bonnet and roof resprayed after the lacquer started cracking. One theory is that moisture trapped under the cover has eventually penetrated the lacquer.

We have a Stormforce 4 cover which we will not be using again. These are meant to be breathable but I regularly inspected the car during winter and found the car to be wet underneath. On a sunny day it also took longer for the moisture to go as the cover kept it insulated.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

Depends on how long you plan to keep it covered. If longer than a couple of months, I would concur with the above. I've left mine covered for numerous tours ( 4 to 7 months ) and I've had to re-wash and wax but no adverse reaction to new paint. The main problem was inside the cab, mould started to grow on the leather and dash.

Depends on what you need it for as Rummy said.

I have a £49.99 halfrauds all seasons one that does me fine. Keeps the car covered Monday to Friday (for my piece of mind more than anything, I'm anal about it being home alone) and then on the weekends I give it a little wash and take it for a spin. Then it's covered again for the working week.

You'll only really have problems if your car/cover already has contaminants on it, like little bits of muck etc, or if you leave it more than a couple of weeks.

Really appreciate all the feedback chaps, from what you've all said i'm thinking maybe just leaving the cover option for now - seems like its more hassle than its worth. It will get driven probably twice a week so I will give it a good wax and then see how things go. Any recommendations on wax brands/types? I've used Auto Glym HighDefinition in the past and that's produced a fantastic finish.

I get asked this question all the time and as others have said, I would stay well away from car covers. Even if they are designed specifically for the car, are fur lined, fully secured, breathable etc, I still would not bother. A carcoon or something similar that does not touch the car is the only option. Other than that just keep the car cleaned and waxed. With a recent respray, especially at this time of year, you don't want to be trapping moisture inbetween the car and a cover.