The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Previous Cat D affect on Price

mattdavies

If it was repaired by the cars insurance company then surely its not a cat anything

as its not been written off ?

My dads Merc was hit from behind and was repaired by the insurance comp of the

other car, it had a lot of damage but wasn't enough to write it off so not cat listing

From what my mates in the trade tell me cat d is 75% off pre accident value, cat c 50%

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

It was bought back and then given to the body shop. So a £4k Auto TT would be worth £3k if Cat D, thats cheap for a TT supra in my eyes but fair enough

I don't think there's any figures set in stone for cat d or c values so as much off as you can get

Cats Cs mean that the vehicle has been heavily damaged and the insurance company has chosen not to go ahead with the repairs. Cat C cars are usually capable of being salvaged if the repairs are carried out correctly.

Cat D is the least serious category. It usually means that the vehicle has suffered light damage but the insurance company's decision to repair it is dependent on the cost of the repairs and the value of the vehicle.

the category title is determined by the assessor who comes out to inspect the vehicle.

we have had a supra keyed down both sides, cat d.... we have had one that had the smallest of scraps (1inch) on the rear qtr, cat c.

we have even had a rolled one and the guy classed it as a cat d!!

funniest one i had was about 8 years ago, someone drove into the back of my gtr and they sent a 15 year old girl on the bus down to me who was on work experience to take pics and inspect it and report back... jokers....

both a classed as write offs as un-economical to repair

Edited by keron (see edit history)

My mr2 turbo was a cat d, the damage...........

The previous owner had reversed into a lamppost, and broke the boot spoiler. That is all!

I bought it damaged, sourced a replacement bootlid with spoiler attached, 5 minutes later, happy days!

Personally, a recorded car doesn't worry me too much, providing its been repaired properly. A lot of people have prangs, not necessarily on the road, and have their cars repaired themselves - without ever declaring it.