The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sorry to start with bad news

SupramaxVEV

Hi guys, great to be here. I visited the stand at the classic car show and was very impressed. Sorry to start on a bad point but I had a little issue yesterday. I was late for my nephews christening due to helping rebuild my friends mk4 golf engine so I was giving my '94 UK twin turbo a bit of beans to get there when it started smoking fairly heavily. By the time I got home the rear of the car was covered in a film of oil. A friend said that this was a turbo seal but I was wondering if anybody had a more definitive idea of what it could be. Cheers in advance.

Max

It definitely sounds like the turbo seals mate. The intake side of the intercooler is often covered with oil when the seals go, it may be a good indication to set your mind at ease.

Don't bother with trying to repair them, get your membership paid for and head over to the for sale section to put up a wanted add for a set of second hand tubbys. Saves a lot of hassle. If you're into rebuilds you should be handy enough with the spanners to swap them over. Take lots of pics and lots of notes so you know how it all goes back together.

Was there any other sign other than billowing smoke? Any bang or something?

A couple of years ago, I had billowing smoke, and a film of oil all over the rear end of the Sup, no bang or anything, and it turned out the oil pump had pooped itself, blown the front crank seal, and dispatched the oil under the car. In turn, burning the oil on the exhaust, causing all the smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Sorry for taking so long to post again but I've been stuck working away. I finally gave up trying to get some work done on it and asked my tame mechanic. He has stripped it down and thinks it is the front crank seal. I'm assuming it's worth doing the cambelt while in there. Does anyone know the best place to get the parts in the Midlands? And yes ripped_fear it was me and dad at the NEC who spoke to you.

Could the front crank seal failure be influenced by a faulty crankshaft pully? If it's causing vibration (ie failing the "tippex test" where you can see it wobble) it might be a good idea to change that as well if it is an origional part.

I've also seen it suggested that low mileage can cause seals to perish due to lack of use and causes shrinkage of the seals. Anyone back this up?

Good news is it sounds like your turbos are ok?

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Could the front crank seal failure be influenced by a faulty crankshaft pully? If it's causing vibration (ie failing the "tippex test" where you can see it wobble) it might be a good idea to change that as well if it is an origional part.

I've also seen it suggested that low mileage can cause seals to perish due to lack of use and causes shrinkage of the seals. Anyone back this up?

Good news is it sounds like your turbos are ok?

I don't know if my car qualifies for low mileage but it's a 93 with 37k on the clock with original seals and I don't use a drop of oil at all.