The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gauging Interest: Potentially Breaking Quicksilver 2000 VVTi Tip

SPG

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about clearing some space at the moment and have decided to see whether there would be any interest in parts, from me breaking my 2000 VVVTi Tiptronic Sup.

I have checked with the regular breakers to see if they are interested to make an offer, as I wanted to know whether to bring her back to a roadworthy state, after her accident. I have been collecting parts to replace the damaged panels, and now have 98% of the parts needed to complete the repair.

So I am faced with that tough "cross roads" decision:

Left: Break her for parts

DECISION MADE, BREAKING!

Edited by SPG (see edit history)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about clearing some space at the moment and have decided to see whether there would be any interest in parts, from me breaking my 2000 VVVTi Tiptronic Sup.

I have checked with the regular breakers to see if they are interested to make an offer, as I wanted to know whether to bring her back to a roadworthy state, after her accident. I have been collecting parts to replace the damaged panels, and now have 98% of the parts needed to complete the repair.

So I am faced with that tough "cross roads" decision:

Left: Break her for parts

Straight: Charge onwards and save another

Right: Sell her as a project with the parts to another member looking for a project

Back: You'll know there's no going back :D

So here I am, standing at these crossroads, and you guys are my last phone call before the unknown..................

Feel free to post on this thread and PM also :), thanks.

Thats a straight from me all day long. How bad is the damage?

If straight is too painful Theres got to be people out there interested in right surely?

Guest Nicholas

Sunny, you should have trader status for the amount of Supra's you have! I'd like to say bring her back but it seems the market is flooded with tiptronic supra's right now.

If you have the time, Straight.

If not, Right.

:thumbs:

How bad is the damage?

Just about to answer this James :)

Deppends on price but id go for straight :-)

if i had the room for a project inwould suriously considering this with a 6speed.conversion but sadly i dont and need a.running project :-( but striaght all day long

:thumbs:

Thats a straight from me all day long. How bad is the damage?

If straight is too painful Theres got to be people out there interested in right surely?

:thumbs: thanks buddy, just about to answer the damage Q

I'm after a pair of doorcards if they are original :)

Door cars are present and mint

Sunny, you should have trader status for the amount of Supra's you have! I'd like to say bring her back but it seems the market is flooded with tiptronic supra's right now.

disposable income + storage x enthusiasm = Collector :), this is the calculation that has caused the issue Nic, dont worry, as the Mrs has a income drain planned in the future.

As for the Car, I hear what you are saying and also picked up on this recent shift in the classifieds, unfortunately for this car, the Cat C will stand out (negatively) when compared to such examples as Havard etc..

- - - Updated - - -

The problem I have with charging on with the project is the Mrs, I must admit I have got a little carried away with my enthusiasm towards the Supra. Clearing space for a more focused ownership of the Supra, seems to be the best idea for the arrival of 2015.

The car is a Category C, so this was always my concern with getting her back into running/driving order, as the post repair value might be effected according to history. I will be releasing this car from my ownership, which ever option I go with, as I just don't have the need for another Sup, and my life/priority's will change, as the Mrs is demanding that we start a family this year coming :).

The history with the car backs up the Mileage on the shell/engine, and the interior is the cleanest thing next to a brand new one, interior panels and carpets looking like they have barely seen any usage.

The damage is on the driver-side (offside), with the following damaged detailed:

- Wing damaged

- Front Bumper broken on off-side

- Headlight broken

- Offside inner wing creased

- Offside Chassis leg looks straight, but damaged on the underside of the leg, nothing overly exciting,

- Bonnet damaged on offside

- Airbox damaged from impact.

- SMIC damaged

Accident Occurred at low speeds so the chassis damage is minimal, I had an independent accident repair company take a look at this, they were very confident that the damage was indeed more superficial than structural, so a repair is a very real opportunity.

Now might be the time to set some ground rules with the accepted and agreed level of supra tinkering in return for your wee swimmers ;)

Might end up without any swimmers and no tinkering if I start taking advice like this, the wife can kick pretty hard too :D

Swap you the doorcards for an all inclusive refurb :D

Definitely an option worth considering, if I go down the breaking route. :)

:D

Going to start compiling a breaking list, the car has a documented 40k miles on her, so everything is still in great condition. Plenty of OEM options also.

Cant have been too many original 2000 model Quicksilver sups in production, one less with this one looking like a breaker.

An I thought you were just a jaffa, good the missus knocked some sense into you... You should have had 6 kids by now :D

I would say sell it to a breaker unless you got the time and space to break it yourself as you know this would generate the most income. Surely that bit should come naturally to you. :D

An I thought you were just a jaffa, good the missus knocked some sense into you... You should have had 6 kids by now :D

I would say sell it to a breaker unless you got the time and space to break it yourself as you know this would generate the most income. Surely that bit should come naturally to you. :D

Getting a little cheeky in your old age eh Abzy, surprised you noticed one of my threads... thought you might have been allergic to Blue or something as you have been rather quiet.

Now I think of it, its Green you have the difficulty with isn't it, as in the green light at the drag strip ;)