The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V5/Insurance question

Shane

Carmel's NA is an auto, its always been an auto I would say. However the the V5 doesn't say its an auto, unlike the 2 other Supra V5s I have and my MB V5 auto too, they all say auto on the V5.

She has been on comparison websites getting quotes as her renewal is soon and when the reg is entered it always comes up as a manual and she gets cheap quotes, but as soon as you correct it to auto, it increases hugely, by several hundred pounds in some cases. I am assuming its because they think its a manual and then when you say its an auto they consider it to be a conversion/modified.

Her existing insurance policy doesn't mention auto or manual, and I hope to god that she told them when she switched from her Impreza to the Supra mid term on the Impreza policy that it was an auto. So far, their quote for renewal is reasonable, but not as cheap as some of the ones that come back for the car when its left as a manual.

Thought I would give DVLC a call tomorrow but last time I called them it took a while to get past the robots. Any suggestions?

Not that it may help, but I was always under the impression that autos are more expensive to insure, as they're easier to crash!

I could of course be wrong, but it's something I was always lead to believe.

Really? Not heard that one before. Will give a few insurers a call tomorrow, strange how the model always shows as manual when the reg is put into a comparison site though.

So, DVLC say it should say "Auto" in the v5 if it is and say they will correct this and issue a new V5 FOC if I can provide a letter from a Toyota dealer to say it was originally built as an auto.

The Toyota main dealer in Northampton are pretty naff tbh, anyone on here who works for Toyota who may be able to help? Please.