The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance or Aesthetics?

Guest Suprem3x

Guest Suprem3x

Hey guys just curious as to what you think is the most important factor of your Supras/ cars in general. Performance or Aesthetics?

Also why?

Cheers lads

Suprem3x

On a 20 year old car it would be making sure it was completely mechanically sound first, suspension, brakes, engine, ancillaries, tyres, etc. replacing with OEM and perhaps some 'performance' aftermarket parts (brake pads, IC, brake lines, exhaust, etc.) Then it'd be making sure the bodywork was tidy and rust free.

On a 20 year old car it would be making sure it was completely mechanically sound first, suspension, brakes, engine, ancillaries, tyres, etc. replacing with OEM and perhaps some 'performance' aftermarket parts (brake pads, IC, brake lines, exhaust, etc.) Then it'd be making sure the bodywork was tidy and rust free.

This.

Guest Suprem3x

Really interesting to see the comments here, looks to me that the general consensus is that performance is best.

I recently bought my Supra in July of this year as a project car and must admit I love it to bits! (Supra being my childhood dream car because of TOM's).

It's got a bit of work needed to be done to it, performance wise its a Automatic non aspirated but that's how they made the aerotops, however it has got adjustable racing suspension and so on. Now if I came out to meets how much crap would I get ripped into me for it currently being a Non Aspirated Auto?

Aesthetically its sound with a new front bumper, push to start, carbon fiber wrap and with only 50,000 miles on the clock as its been kept in a garage all its life so it is pretty much rust free.

Really interesting to see the comments here, looks to me that the general consensus is that performance is best.

I recently bought my Supra in July of this year as a project car and must admit I love it to bits! (Supra being my childhood dream car because of TOM's).

It's got a bit of work needed to be done to it, performance wise its a Automatic non aspirated but that's how they made the aerotops, however it has got adjustable racing suspension and so on. Now if I came out to meets how much crap would I get ripped into me for it currently being a Non Aspirated Auto?

Aesthetically its sound with a new front bumper, push to start, carbon fiber wrap and with only 50,000 miles on the clock as its been kept in a garage all its life so it is pretty much rust free.

Some came with twin turbos, like mine ;)

As for ripping about being an N/A, you wont get non of that here :D

Sounds like a decent motor, your going to have to post it up in "new members/newbie" section

Guest Suprem3x
Some came with twin turbos, like mine ;)

As for ripping about being an N/A, you wont get non of that here :D

Sounds like a decent motor, your going to have to post it up in "new members/newbie" section

Did they? Learn something new everyday!

That's good to know maybe I'll have to show my face around.

Thanks I'll be sure to!

There's little you can really do to an NA Supra performance wise, removing the cats and fitting an aftermarket 2JZGE exhaust will gain a few hp's and make the car feel a bit more responsive. I'd concentrate on the handling and braking, decent quality suspension, full alignment check and good quality tyres. If it's fitted with the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes then either upgrade to the larger 4pot/2pot brakes or optimise the smaller brakes with braided lines, good quality pads, decent fluid and a stopper for the brake master cylinder.

If the reason you are concerned about 'performance' is because you may get 'ripped on', ignore the comments on here its meant in good humor, and the young chavs at some meets who cares what they think. If you want more power and the car is setup for it then go for it. If your happy with its power then stick with it and set about making sure everything else is spot on both visually and mechanically.

I have owned my NA since 2010 and she is still at the same BHP it was when I got it bone stock. However it drives completely different as most of it is new and has been set up properly.

For me performance, as in bragging rights numbers means absolutely nothing, looks plays a huge part of my cars. However performance is completely different to BHP, I feel mine performs brilliantly at what it was designed to do. Only now am I putting more power into it as the car is ready for it, and I want a little extra poke.

There are plenty of cars out there that are running very impressive BHP figures, but they are either so fragile, complete dogs, rusted, or just generally deteriorating.

Bit of inspiration if you are staying NA....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?239143-Jakes-Sz-supra-build-The-details-count

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)