The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speedo needle bounce problem......

ShawnPreece

My speedo needle doesnt work properly. If im going at say 40mph it would be rapidly bouncing from 30-50mph (always at least a 20mph difference) I also have a HKS type 1 turbo timer which displays the speed digitally and this works brilliantly and very accurate so because the turbo timer speed reads correct I thought it must have been a fault on the speedo within the dials cluster so I bought another dials cluster and put that in but im still getting the same problem... just wondering if anyone has come across this before and what possible causes are? Im planning to look into it tomorrow but just wondering where to start looking really. My only thoughts are whether its the converter box that converts it to mph rather than kph as thats loose in the dash just behind the dials or whether its a wiring issue somewhere.

Mine is connected to the back of the dials. Might be as simple as a loose screw making it bypass the converter shooting up to 50, then making contact and converting to mph again?

Thanks for your response, yeah mine is connected as the picture below:

IMG_7571.jpg

all the screws seem to tighten up nicely though so dont think it would be that, one of the wires coming out of the converter box has been bent over quite tightly though and is a little worn so was wondering if that might of been it but still looks to be connected properly

I have the same issue but mine doesnt work at all now

I took the speed converter out and wired it "back to normal" but it doesn't work so i need to source a sensor for the box.

Ahh right yeah that sounds similar as mine goes through little temporary spells of not working but generally it just bounces, just sourcing a new converter box atm to give that a try as thinking on mine it may be that from the advise on the comments above as it's been doing it all along and my gearbox has been off and back on during that time and no change to it, unless the speed sensor is faulty as appose to being loose though

Ahh right yeah that sounds similar as mine goes through little temporary spells of not working but generally it just bounces, just sourcing a new converter box atm to give that a try as thinking on mine it may be that from the advise on the comments above as it's been doing it all along and my gearbox has been off and back on during that time and no change to it, unless the speed sensor is faulty as appose to being loose though

The easiest way is to just remove the old convertor and see if it works correctly and reads in KPH. No point buying another one until you know its faulty.

Edited by ScottC (see edit history)

• 9 years later...