The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra issue this morning - really need advise and help.

supra_24

Hi guys.

Got my supra back recently an it's been a pleasure to drive for the last week and a half.

Driving for the last few days back an fourth to work.

Started up fine and shut down fine.

However, this morning after being sat on the driveway for the last two days, I went to startup the car from a cold start and all of a sudden, a lot of rattling started happening from the engine bay.

This then continued for a good 5 to 10mins until it had warmed up.

I then turned the engine off and it made a slight scrape noise?

After this I started her back up and then drove to my garage for a check up.

It drove smoothly with no issues.

We let it cool down and started her back up, with no noise.

Really worried about this.

Any ideas or advice on what may be the cause?

Regards

Ashley

I have left it with my garage for the next 2 days to let it cool down completely and to see if they can replicate the noise.

First thing that comes to mind is that your crank pulley is seperating, put a line across it in tipex, start it up and see if the outer ring is slipping.

Next for me would be to check your flywheel, I had a similar issue to this just before my flywheel came off........not nice!

Edit: probably not your flywheel, mine did the noise for 10 mins and then siezed the gearbox, the sound wouldn't go away.

First thing that comes to mind is that your crank pulley is seperating, put a line across it in tipex, start it up and see if the outer ring is slipping.

Next for me would be to check your flywheel, I had a similar issue to this just before my flywheel came off........not nice!

Edit: probably not your flywheel, mine did the noise for 10 mins and then siezed the gearbox, the sound wouldn't go away.

This

I would agree but the crank pulley I'm sure was replaced a couple of months back when Whifbitz restored the car for me.

Is the crank pulley likely to go again. Keep in mind I have driven the car little and often and it has sat for a while in some cases. It's not until 2 weeks ago that I started driving it regularly and it was fine at that stage.

Wasn't until this morning after 2 days of sitting that it started rattling and making strange noises.

Any other possibilities?

Also the flywheel was brand new along with clutch 2 weeks ago.

Will get the crank pulley looked at and tightened if needs be.

The supra is a 5 speed w58 TT 94, with brand new stage 3 + clutch and flywheel.

Drives smooth as butter and engine does not feel lumpy or hesitate.

As said it drove fine before this morning and drive ok after the car warmed up and the noise went away, when I drove to my garage.

Do you guys think it's likely to be the belts/ alternator/ crank?

Not something major like the engine on its way out?

Would belts cause or the other areas mentioned cause a grinding/rattling noise usually if they were wearing?

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Ash

It only just happened yesterday morning after being sat for 2 days. Prior to that I was driving back and fourth with no issues, no noises.

When I started her up yesterday the engine bay started emitting a strange noise. Like a rattling noise, not quite as bad as the one I'm the video.

The rattling lasted a good 10mins until warmed up and then went to a slight squeak noise and then went fully.

I then turned the engine off and as I did this it made like a scrape noise from the engine bay?

I then drove to Horsham developments who specialize in race cars/imports and the car was fine with no noises an no issues.

We turned off the car and let it cool and still no noise when started up again.

Seems strange as the car ha been fine up until now.

Also oil temps and other temps seemed fine.

Oil and coolant were fine.

Lights went off almost immediately. No issues.