The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Supra Owner Requires MKIV Advise

Guest lepakboy

Guest lepakboy

Dear MKIV Supra Members,

I was hoping to get some odd questions answered about the MKIV Supra. I currently own a 93 MKIV TT from Japan. I only got the car in 2010 and since it was never imported into Malaysia officially, there are few owners who know what it was like new. During its life here, the car has been through 5 owners, all of which have left their own personal mark on the car.

So I'm hoping to get answers from owners who have owned the car from new and can describe how the MKIV should be set up from the factory.

Q1: Power Windows

Do the power windows automatically fold down and up when you open the door? If not, did Toyota set up some sort of safety system to ensure the glass doesn't shatter when it is fully extended?

Q2: Does the glass slide underneath hard rubber on the top of the door panel? Or does it fully extend just under it?

Q3: Both the passenger door cards are held together with screws around the borders of the card. Did Toyota offer caps to hide the screws or were they exposed? The screwed used on my MKIV are simple steel screws.

Q4: The rubber coating on the dashboard has worn off over the years. Considering the climate here is humid and unfriendly towards rubber, do you prefer it with or without the coating?

Q5: The car was originally an Auto but one of the previous owners replaced it with a 5 Speed. Were the 5 Speeds as noisy as their 6 Speed counterparts? Whilst I would enjoy the idea of a 6 speed, I tend to use the car more in the city and wouldn't miss the extra gear in exchange for more comfort.

Q6: How often have you replaced the door pins? I only ask this because both of mine are sagging

Q7: This Supra has a motorized radio antenna. Looking at the wiring in the fuse box, one of the previous owners has warped the wires around the power side mirror fuse. Since I doubt this is something the factory would do, how was it originally connected? It is possible that the owner installed a booster as Japanese FM Broadcast band is below 90 MHz.

Sorry to trouble ya'll with such simple questions but its hard to find anyonewho has experienced the car since new. Love the forum and looking forward to getting some more MKIV parts when I'm in London next Feb.

Q1 - No, they are to the top.

Q2 - It just sits on the rubber, if your seals are OK, they should "lip" over the top of the glass from the A pillar forward (the B pillar just sits on the glass)

Q3 - Only the 2 gold coloured screws on the forward part of the card have plastic caps, the others are black screws

Q4 - Most remove the coating as it wears painting it another colour, plastidip is a good substitute for the stock coating

Q5 - Which 5 speed? R154 or a W58

Q6 - Door pins? sagging?

Q7 - No idea.

Q7: This Supra has a motorized radio antenna. Looking at the wiring in the fuse box, one of the previous owners has warped the wires around the power side mirror fuse. Since I doubt this is something the factory would do, how was it originally connected? It is possible that the owner installed a booster as Japanese FM Broadcast band is below 90 MHz.

If a signal booster for a stock Japanese ICE system is fitted it'd ordinarily be alongside the antenna and using the power supplied to the antenna. If you remove the rear side panel you'll be able to see if the antenna lead plugs into a wave band expander or not. I think the antenna runs off the same 7.5A fuse as the radio.

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/363cx-1995-toyota-supra-fuse-box-schematic-question.html

Q2 - The door glass sits under the hard rubber (runs along roof) and sits on top the soft inner rubber. Simple seal.

Q3 - Never seen a supra with caps over the bottom screws, there are caps to fit the 2 gold screws that sit against the sides of the dash and 1 cap in the armrest

Q4 - Rubber goes bad in all climates by the sound of it. Even here in the UK, a lot paint theirs, to match the body colour, matt/satin black to replicate the oem rubber...don't forget to add chrome dash rings (best modern upgrade for the dash)

Q5 - Maybe the manual tunnel skin was not installed properly, remove the centre console and gear trim to take a look, should be welded and sealed to stop noise