The mkiv Supra Owners Club

couple of questions on owning a supra

Guest jg1989

evening all!

done a search but cant find a definitive answer for this, but, basically im hopefully in a position to be getting a supra just after christmas, but just wanted to know how the supras fair with uk weather/winters.

unfortunately we dont have a garage at home, so nowhere to keep it other than the driveway.

do supras suffer from any issues with rust? is the main concern i have, with it being outside all year round.

and how do people get on with using them as a daily driver?

cheers for any input

Jack

LMFAO! Oh the irony... :D

They're 21 years old. Some are rusty, some aren't. Just make sure you check the car properly or get someone who knows Supra's to come with you to view it.

If you get a clean one, underseal it and you won't have a problem. Mine's been here since 2001 and is as clean as a whistle underneath. Infact some of the oldest cars on here I've seen underneath of are immaculate, others are ropey.

Oh and mine lives outside too. I wouldn't worry too much.

LMFAO! Oh the irony... :D

They're 21 years old. Some are rusty, some aren't. Just make sure you check the car properly or get someone who knows Supra's to come with you to view it.

If you get a clean one, underseal it and you won't have a problem. Mine's been here since 2001 and is as clean as a whistle underneath. Infact some of the oldest cars on here I've seen underneath of are immaculate, others are ropey.

Oh and mine lives outside too. I wouldn't worry too much.

yeah i know there old haha, but i know a few jap cars of that era are prone to rust. just figured id ask as itll be the most ive ever spent on a car.

and yeah undersealing would be first on the list haha, but i hope to get one from on here so i would imagine they would be looked after.

cheers for the info man!

If you're paid up, you can have access to the classified section on here but would always suggest searching for build/trouble threads aswell to build a picture of the cars past.

ill get paid up tomorrow and have a proper look at the build threads,

also is there somethin behind this "oh the irony" ??

Jack as a newbie you wouldn't be expected to know the current banter or what topics are currently in vogue. Your best friend is the search button but if you cannot seem to find what your looking for then by all means ask. Most new members don't do this and put a thread up that's been asked hundreds of times before and will incur the wrath of some members. This is a great forum and it's members will go to extraordinary lengths to help each other with advice or parts. To answer your original question a Supra is not generally prone to heavy rust problems but as Benjy said find a good example with history and receipts of work undertaken and you continue to look after it and it will provide you with many years of driving pleasure. Always look beyond a shiny exterior and give it a thorough examination or ask someone who knows Supra's to go with you because if you buy a dud and it could end up costing you a fortune.

Again welcome to the club.

Jack as a newbie you wouldn't be expected to know the current banter or what topics are currently in vogue. Your best friend is the search button but if you cannot seem to find what your looking for then by all means ask. Most new members don't do this and put a thread up that's been asked hundreds of times before and will incur the wrath of some members. This is a great forum and it's members will go to extraordinary lengths to help each other with advice or parts. To answer your original question a Supra is not generally prone to heavy rust problems but as Benjy said find a good example with history and receipts of work undertaken and you continue to look after it and it will provide you with many years of driving pleasure. Always look beyond a shiny exterior and give it a thorough examination or ask someone who knows Supra's to go with you because if you buy a dud and it could end up costing you a fortune.

Again welcome to the club.

cheers dude!

Hi mate where in w. yorkshire are you from? There are some FAQs in the FAQ section, I think they might be available to you as a non member.

im in huddersfield dude, ive read through the guides. There an excellent read!

im from huddersfield too mate ;)

no way! cant say ive seen a supra around tbh! ill check out your build, my hit you up for some advice when i go buy one!

If you buy an aerotop, chances are you will find a puddle of water on the seat in winter when you get in, followed by a dripping of water on your arm as you set off!!

as much as id love an aerotop, i think im gunna go coupe. cheers for the response

I've had my Supra TT since 1998 and it lived outside up until I finally retired it to a new garage built last year. The good thing about outdoors life is as well as getting wet the car is aired so it dries which can be better than sitting in a warmer humid garage festering away.

So now mine is hidden away in a garage, it only comes out in the dry whereas before it was all weathers. Even at 18 years old, original paint except for a couple of minor ding areas that were bodyshopped (one was a pesky badger attack) it looks great. It has been thoroughly pampered though.

If you buy an aerotop, chances are you will find a puddle of water on the seat in winter when you get in, followed by a dripping of water on your arm as you set off!!

LOL so true, a new seal and following rics thread should resolve that.

no way! cant say ive seen a supra around tbh! ill check out your build, my hit you up for some advice when i go buy one!

as much as id love an aerotop, i think im gunna go coupe. cheers for the response

Yes drop me a PM, Are you after a N/A or twin turbo?

What area are you from? Im from Birkby, mine is not a daily so I don't always get it out. I have seen a silver, and a custom blue one around Huddersfield although the blue one has disappeared.

LOL so true, a new seal and following rics thread should resolve that.

Yes drop me a PM, Are you after a N/A or twin turbo?

What area are you from? Im from Birkby, mine is not a daily so I don't always get it out. I have seen a silver, and a custom blue one around Huddersfield although the blue one has disappeared.

will do man, itll be TT most likely!

i live out in the sticks near denby dale haha, i work on leeds road so not far.

cant say ive seen any! ive heard about the blue one but never seen it