The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modified Active Spoiler Motor

mwilkinson

Last year I messed round with an active spoiler setup with the aim of making it work with an FMIC. I was able to get a Whifbitz 4" core into the front with the active spoiler setup installed.

Having got the core fitted. The next issue was making room for the intercooler pipework to fit with the active spoiler brackets and motor working. This is much harder, but I did come up with a solution whereby I made modified brackets and rotated the active spoiler motor forward 90 degrees and rotated the spline from within the motor to compensate. This created just enough room for the pipework to fit. The only issue was that in rotating the motor it projected further forward than the crash bar and sits lower than the undertray. Thus you would need to modify the undertray.

I really don't want to modify the undertray as making the car look stock is one of my main aims. Also it took me ages to find one and I wouldn't relish the idea of cutting it up.

So my thoughts have moved to utilising a different motor. I was thinking about using a modern stepper motor to replace the original vertically mounted motor and gearing.

I was thinking about being able to horizontally mount the motor directly to the original spline.

I have virtually no knowledge of motors and would welcome any input on what motors might be appropriate, or indeed, if this is a viable solution.

Another consideration is whether or not the motor can hold the spoiler while under load at speed. I assume this is why Toyota developed the original motor with a gearing and lever system to mitigate any load on the motor? Thus I would assume a high torque motor would be required.

Another consideration would be designing a system to make the motor work with the stock control system.

So, anyone got any ideas?

Well I've given it some more thought.

I see two possible options here:

1. The first relies on the use of the standard motor with its gearing. I can relocate the motor and gear assembly and simply devise a gear/chained transfer to the main spline.

2. Use a servo motor. The issue I see here will be finding a servo motor that will be man enough for the job. I assume the holding torque will be incredibly high. Especially if the motor were directly mounted to the spline. This would also require a bespoke controller to interface with the stock system, or replace it.

Other options could be using a wiper motor they normally have a worm gear drive, which can give hi torque and it stays put once power is removed, or a window regulator motor assy that works on cables which could operate a lever? and can remote mounted?

i don't know what you are like on electrics, but you could use a window closer relay to operate the motor as they have current sensing to cut power when motor stalls, (comes to a stop ) or through micro switches , or a reed switch with wire wrapped around it and a relay?

i have never seen a active spoiler so don't know if a lever could be attached or the motors would be suitable?

just a few ideas to go on, have a search on the net about said motors etc.

regards chris

Other options could be using a wiper motor they normally have a worm gear drive, which can give hi torque and it stays put once power is removed, or a window regulator motor assy that works on cables which could operate a lever? and can remote mounted?

i don't know what you are like on electrics, but you could use a window closer relay to operate the motor as they have current sensing to cut power when motor stalls, (comes to a stop ) or through micro switches , or a reed switch with wire wrapped around it and a relay?

i have never seen a active spoiler so don't know if a lever could be attached or the motors would be suitable?

just a few ideas to go on, have a search on the net about said motors etc.

regards chris

That's a good idea. I do have a spare rear wiper motor at home and that would be suitable. I assume the worm drive via gears reduces the direct holding load on the motor?

My electronics isn't the best, but I learn fast so I'm sure I can design something to make it all work. Your suggestion about the current sensing relays seem to be the best solution.

The GTO had front and rear active aero. The Nissan Skyline R32 & R33 GTRs were also available with an active splitter, but these are very rare.

Have you considered using a mechanical solution instead?

I'm in the same predicament, but decided an uprated smic was preferable.

The GTO had front and rear active aero. The Nissan Skyline R32 & R33 GTRs were also available with an active splitter, but these are very rare.

Have you considered using a mechanical solution instead?

I'm in the same predicament, but decided an uprated smic was preferable.

I wouldn't be interested in a mechanical option if I'm honest. I like the idea that it works autonomously.

I think the wiper motor option might be worth trying. I can knock something up quite quickly for that as I have the parts. I'm sure my brother can assist in the electrical department.

Clearly if your power goals suit an SMIC this would be the way to go. But I already have an FMIC and would like to crack this problem. I think it's something that would be quite popular if achievable, and if you don't need to destroy your car to install.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

• 5 years later...
I wouldn't be interested in a mechanical option if I'm honest. I like the idea that it works autonomously.

I think the wiper motor option might be worth trying. I can knock something up quite quickly for that as I have the parts. I'm sure my brother can assist in the electrical department.

Clearly if your power goals suit an SMIC this would be the way to go. But I already have an FMIC and would like to crack this problem. I think it's something that would be quite popular if achievable, and if you don't need to destroy your car to install.

Hey guys,

I know this thread is old, did you ever come about with a solution for this? Thanks for the help