The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Info on going bpu

pete.osborne69

First off I have read the BPU in the tech section.

I currently have a first and second decat and a catback exhaust, I have just ordered some colder spark plugs.

I know I need a restrictor plate as mines a j-spec, a FCD/BCC, AFR gauge a uprated fuel pump

I will assume that the AFR gauge will be AEM as its the only one listed on Whifbitz

I have read that the HKS fcd is not as good as the Greddy BCC, however when browsing Whifbitz website I could not find one,

What would you recommend

Also in terms of a boost controller, again what is recommended/best

I have got the restrictor plate and uprated fuel pump in the cart on Whifbitz, and would prefer to get all the parts from one place

I know that my smic is shot and could do with getting replaced so I was thinking of getting a fmic now that I will be going BPU, what's recommended

Also for the boost gauge what's the difference between the defi advanced cf and br gauges or is another manufacture recommended

I don't think I have missed anything but if I have please let me know what and what your recommendation is for that part or what options I have thanks

I do plan to eventually go single turbo so if I can I would prefer to get parts that would do both so it will save me money in the long run but if it can't be avoided then that's fine

Thanks Pete

Edited by pete.osborne69 (see edit history)

I've got a virtually new walbro 255lph pump here mate, that you can have for £40 posted.

Thanks if you pm me your details I'll gladly take it

If price really isn't an issue then you should consider a Syvecs ECU & map. That will do all your boost controlling, fuel cut defending and sensor checking. Will be around £2-2.5k though, but unbeatable performance overall.

I probably should have explained my self better lol, I don't really have that type of money yet I was leaving the ECU and remapping till I can afford to go big single maybe a year or two but I don't mind spending the right amount of money on the best hardware for BPU sorry for the confusion

Edited by pete.osborne69 (see edit history)

^^^ Your killing me Gary lol... I might have this off ya? not actually sure if mine has already been done or not! (IGNORE AS OP HAS ALREADY AGREED TO HAVE)

This might sound like a very silly question as I know what its for and what it does but what improvement will it give me if any at this stage?

If your end plan is a syvecs and single then it's food for thought to get it just now. By the time you deduct the boost controller, and all the other bits and bobs, it starts to make financial sense. If you think about it,down the road you're going to lose a fortune on the bits you buy now when it comes to selling them on.

Spend wisely and spend once if you can :)

So in buying the Syvecs ECU this would eliminate the need for a fcd and boost controller, what else would it eliminate and for this I assume it would need to be mapped as you said

as far as I know you can wire it into a toucan and have your gauges ona digital display so no need to buy separate gauges.

So in buying the Syvecs ECU this would eliminate the need for a fcd and boost controller, what else would it eliminate and for this I assume it would need to be mapped as you said

Yes. You can add sensors to it and let it take care of all your monitoring also, that way you wouldn't need loads of gauges. In addition there's a toucan unit that shows multiple gauges on a screen, etc. The possibilities are endless. Oh, there's also a bluetooth adapter kit for it that allows you to hook it up to a tablet to monitor the gauges etc.

The best part is that with a custom map you will make the absolute most power you can out of your setup, along with a much better torque curve throughout.

I'm not up to date on current prices but I believe around £2.5k would see you fitted and mapped. It may be slightly more though, that's just off the top of my head. If you factored in a stack of sensors to keep your entire engine safe (wideband knock sensor, oil pressure, oil temp, fuel pressure, AFR, EGT, etc) then you wouldn't see much change from 3K..... but you would be absolutely sorted and the single upgrade would be a much simpler, and cheaper, affair.

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting on a fcd and boost gauge to arrive, I have everything else, would I be able to fit everything and still be able to drive the car or should I wait until the fcd arrives (no ETA) and if it is safe to drive what would I be limited to so I don't hit fuel cut, I assume no putting foot down for a long period of time but how hard do I have to accelerate to hit this fuel cut (not that I want to, just need some space in my living room for Xmas but this car is my only means of transportation)

Thanks

Pete

You'll hit fuel cut, but you won't want to do it again once you have hit it :D

Nothing to worry about, feel free to drive it around just try to avoid too much boost. It's a tricky time of year for non-FCD cars as this is when they tend to see a little bit more boost due to the density of the air giving a bit more oomph.

Good God! No, do NOT fire the engine up with the cam covers off :) It'll throw a LOT of oil all over the engine bay and the fan will blow it all over the screen and wings. Don't take the "Good God" the wrong way I am always asking similar newbie questions on amateur radio forums and getting "Good God man" replies ;) Life's a learning curve BTW, if your car is an automatic having a Syvecs fitted will be even dearer if you want it to control the auto box, as it needs engine torque control to survive and the basic S6 Syvecs will not handle that. Just go "BPU" (how I hate that Americanism....), and see what you think. The HKS FCD is not as technically elegant as the obsolete Greddy, but gets the job done. Hope this helps a bit!