The mkiv Supra Owners Club

For all those interested in Supra TT fuel economy

gordy.r

Well we are all aware that the Supra is never going to win any economy awards when it comes fuel efficiency.

But I see a lot of posts from people interested in buying a Supra asking about mpg.

So, yesterday I squeezed in £80.00 of Tescos finest 99 Ron petroleum at a cost of £1.23 a litre (had a 2p off voucher) which gave me 65.04 litres (fuel light had been on for approx 5 miles prior to filling up).

65.04 litres divided by 4.5 equates to 14.45 gallons.

I then managed to cover 370 miles before the fuel light came back on again so, 370 miles divided by14.45 gallons equals 25.6 mpg.

This was all motorway mileage and speeds (take from that what you will) with several traffic jams and a few blasts of the loud pedal (including the obligatory M6 toll wacky races leaving the toll both blast lol).

I know this isn't the most scientific of tests, but I thought it may give some people looking into ownership a general idea.

Car is a stock '94 TT import auto with exhaust and filter mods.

I find my VVTi-TT6 to be alot better on the fuel than my non-VVTi TT-Auto ever was, perhaps my driving style is suited more towards the manual, or even, with age I have matured as a driver :D

Auto is always going to use more juice than a manual. Even the modern auto's are the same, although the gap is marginal now.

Why do auto's use more fuel?

I only ask as on the 2 previous Dragonballs dads used half a tank of fuel a day, which we found was the same as a 5spd and a 6spd supra. And that's some spirited driving and cruising.

The car is a 600bhp single turbo auto.

More revs for the same speed, more revs to pull away, more torque required to do anything, torque used while in drive but stationary, etc, etc, etc.

You can drive an auto economically, but an economically driven auto will be less economical than an economically driven manual.

- - - Updated - - -

From my house I got 400miles to just about JAE on one tank of fuel and it's an Auto.

I got 430 on my way home with the car when I bought it. The one and only time I've cracked 400 miles :D

26mpg for such a car is outstanding......... i don't know why but i would guess that with BPU mods and setting a mild boost pressure it gets better... i say so because i notice that removing cats and giving to the car a more "refined" map the mpg driving quitely is improved..

i don't know why (i'm not a supra owner yet) but i would imagine that a standard supra with bpu mods with a syvecs standalone in the hand of a very good tuner if set on roughly the standard boost would make better mpg... don't know why...

a friend of mine with a citroen ds3 1.6 thp is making better mpg than oem with complete decat and straight exhaust bmc filter and FMIC and mapped by a good tuner... we still can't figure it out why...

actually an other friend whitch is very famous on the supra world (pink abflug s900) who has thousand of whp, he told me that if you stay away from boost like 1500-2000 it still give increedible mpg..

When I did my "economy" run, I sat at a steady 80 leptons on the way home. I could have gotten more out of it, but what would be the point really. There's no point in pretending that these cars get good MPG, they simply aren't built that way.

That's not to say they are terrible. Lets be honest here, 90s 3 litre straight 6 with 2 old school turbo's attached..... when you keep that in mind it's very frugal :D

I have an na auto and a manual honda crv (family car). I've never worked out proper figures but the supra beats the crv fuel wize easily! I know the crv is a big car but it's only 2.0 and manual as opposed to a 3.0 auto. My other supra has a soarer v8 with the soarer auto i need to put an exhaust on it etc still but will be on the road soon...... I hope.

So it will be interesting to see how bad it is on juice

• 5 years later...