The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Difference in boost?

mac79

I have removed my 2nd cat. I am thinking about removing the 1st decat.

I was wondering how much quicker is the spoil up is? How much better/quicker the acceleration is?

I am hitting 1.2 bar i have always felt it could get there quicker and pull off has always felt a bit slow?

Sorry if i am asking a stupid question.

1.2bar with the 1st cat still in place isn't good at all. It must be red hot :) put the 1st decat in with restrictor ring it will flow a lot better once you do that. When the turbos get a lot of heat you will lose valuable hp.

Thats the plan, then set my boost controller up with 1.0 on low and 1.2 high. the one i have fitted is a greddy profec b. A few people have said to stick with that as its easy to set up.

If your restrictor ring is the correct size then the boost controller set at 1.0 shouldn't make any difference. You ideally want 1-1.1bar with the restrictor ring. That way your boost levels are safe, while leading to the least restriction possible. The boost controller then gets you the extra 0.1-0.2 increase that makes it all worthwhile. EBC is a must for raw power kick, nothing touches it.

If your restrictor ring is the correct size then the boost controller set at 1.0 shouldn't make any difference. You ideally want 1-1.1bar with the restrictor ring. That way your boost levels are safe, while leading to the least restriction possible. The boost controller then gets you the extra 0.1-0.2 increase that makes it all worthwhile. EBC is a must for raw power kick, nothing touches it.

I will give that a try when I set it up. Even with a cat on 1.2 is a world of difference.

I will give that a try when I set it up. Even with a cat on 1.2 is a world of difference.

Definitely. It's like blowing a foghorn through a penny whistle though. You're running on borrowed time. 1.2 bar of chocked up aggression is always going to be better than 0.8 bar of stock-ish oppression, however... there's 1.2 bar restricted by a cat and there's 1.2 bar almost unrestricted. The two are very different beasts.

Definitely. It's like blowing a foghorn through a penny whistle though. You're running on borrowed time. 1.2 bar of chocked up aggression is always going to be better than 0.8 bar of stock-ish oppression, however... there's 1.2 bar restricted by a cat and there's 1.2 bar almost unrestricted. The two are very different beasts.

I will be getting it done in the next few weeks. Might try and convince the good lady that i need an early xmas present.

I noticed quite a big difference when I took both my cats off, acceleration was much faster than before but unfortunately the exhaust note is still very similar

I am happy with the ganandor system i have on it now so its good that it wont change.