The mkiv Supra Owners Club

your opinion on buy an auto for cheap and convert in to 6speed getrag later

mpobor

i everybody! sorry to bother you all!

it's a topic that has been covered many time... but i struggle on find a quote on the actual conversion.... i don't know why but is not so clear about the price of the work involved..

AUTO are 2 times some times 3 times cheaper than the manual.. is it possible that all this difference in price will be the same as convert it? i mean.. a good AUTO can be found for 6k... a 6 speed car for 12k to 15k minimum if not more... (BMP or OEM) a conversion is so expensive???

i'm asking this because i saw many peopl starting from auto and then convert it... i was looking for some opinion

the fact is that i can really easily pull out 6 k even for next summer..... 16k it's just 3 times the time :) so no supra for 2 years :(.... :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the resulting car will be worth less (unless converted professionaly by someone like SRD or Whifbitz), it doesn't make financial sense.

I'm in the same boat, but I understand that it will cost me more in the long run. But mine will stay auto for quite a while, so I really don't mind :)

As the resulting car will be worth less (unless converted professionaly by someone like SRD or Whifbitz), it doesn't make financial sense.

I'm in the same boat, but I understand that it will cost me more in the long run. But mine will stay auto for quite a while, so I really don't mind :)

i guess that AUTO would still be a thrill.... or am i wrong? do you get worst mpg when you cruise or is annoying the thing that doesn't downshift? i mean for cornering...

is it still riable as the getrag? or it need more mantainance? 6-7 k for a supra is a still.... sometimes i feel stupid thinking about spendige 10k more than the auto just to have gearbox... i mean same car, same engine, same everything... 10k less just because is auto....

If you're concerned about any sort of economy - don't buy a Supra.

Reliability wise, alright up to 500-600ft/lb of torque.

I've had a 6 speed, now have an auto, and have driven plenty of other Supra's including 5 and 6 speeds and can honestly say I would never have another manual one!

Eh?

so you have to use a trader to do a 6 speed conversion so its worth more?

i guess that AUTO would still be a thrill.... or am i wrong? do you get worst mpg when you cruise or is annoying the thing that doesn't downshift? i mean for cornering...

is it still riable as the getrag? or it need more mantainance? 6-7 k for a supra is a still.... sometimes i feel stupid thinking about spendige 10k more than the auto just to have gearbox... i mean same car, same engine, same everything... 10k less just because is auto....

Upto bpu I would probably stick with an auto. much nicer to drive a lot of the time, very reliable, and kickdown is incredible.

But it's not as much fun on a twisty road as the manual.

I would say a Supra that has been converted from Auto to manual by a reputable firm would be worth more than a similar car that had been converted in someone's back yard.

I know a few people from this forum that I'd let near my car before some "reputable firm's"...

I would say a Supra that has been converted from Auto to manual by a reputable firm would be worth more than a similar car that had been converted in someone's back yard.

Wrong….. Mine's done to a standard exceeding what I have seen in the past by some Traders. You have to take it on a car by car basis.

There are other very, very good professional and amateur mechanics on this forum that I would also trust.

Personally. TT swaps result in a car of a lower value. 6-Speed swaps done right, I don't see affecting the value.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

It is fundamentally different thing to drive auto than manual. Nothing bad about it, but manual is more desirable transmission when we are talking old about sport cars. It's has always been that way. People who buy new sports car want to have an auto box and they who buy used sports car want to have manual.

Wrong….. Mine's done to a standard exceeding what I have seen in the past by some Traders. You have to take it on a car by car basis.

To a 'layman', they aren't really going to know what a decent standard swap would entail, or look like. But if you have invoices from a trader with a decent reputation within the community, that is worth something.

Remember, you aren't talking about something that is easily shown to someone poking around the car, the interior would have to come out to have a proper look.

Just look at what Homer found when he started his RSP build.

By the time you've bought a decent TT auto, full 6 speed conversion and paid for someone to fit your looking at the same price as a stock 6speed if not more. If you can afford a 6 speed now it would be worth buying it now.

People do say autos are better to drive etc. but to me the driving part of the driving experience is the motion of changing gear!

In relation to price I paid £7400 for my 97 TT6. I bought it knowing it would need an engine rebuild which cost me £2600 so the car owes me £10k. So you can get a TT6 for cheap if your willing to do work, look at Keron who breaks TT6s all the time. I doubt he pays anywhere near 7k for them and some of them are in road worthy condition.

Edited by JayJay1374 (see edit history)

If you're concerned about any sort of economy - don't buy a Supra.

Reliability wise, alright up to 500-600ft/lb of torque.

I've had a 6 speed, now have an auto, and have driven plenty of other Supra's including 5 and 6 speeds and can honestly say I would never have another manual one!

very interesting point!!! i must ask you why? i would love to have a direct experience of a man who have tried everything about supra.......

about the reliability well... even i don't own a supra yet... i never read bad thing about a supra with 500\600 hp.. i'm talking about treat it well... ù

20\25 years old car with half of the power tend to be much more in a garage with serious stuff broken than been driven on the road... and again... half the power!

gearbox, piston, block, differential all look bullet proof... i never read anything bad about a 500\600hp supra... it looks like a very realiable supercar...

Edited by mpobor (see edit history)

By the time you've bought a decent TT auto, full 6 speed conversion and paid for someone to fit your looking at the same price as a stock 6speed if not more. If you can afford a 6 speed now it would be worth buying it now.

People do say autos are better to drive etc. but to me the driving part of the driving experience is the motion of changing gear!

In relation to price I paid £7400 for my 97 TT6. I bought it knowing it would need an engine rebuild which cost me £2600 so the car owes me £10k. So you can get a TT6 for cheap if your willing to do work, look at Keron who breaks TT6s all the time. I doubt he pays anywhere near 7k for them and some of them are in road worthy condition.

maybe you bought it many years ago! in the last years there is no 6 speed supra under 12k... they average at 13-14k.... for 7k now you can get very look after AUTO... 7400 plus 2600 sounds like a really good bargain

6 speeds are clunky. If you fit a non standard clutch, the pedal can be heavy and you lose feel, some of them are either on or off. 5 speeds are ok as far as gearboxes go, but you feel obliged to be gentle on them for fear of them failing.

The auto, just point and squirt. If you want the noise of down shifting through the gears, switch manual mode on and use the shifter.

i'm talking really silly now... but on the chat i hope i can do that..

what about swap an OEM AUTOBOX with a cutting edge autobox from latest cars? i mean like a DCT 7 speed getrag from a bmw? again i'm not a mechanic... i just see a bell housing of a different shape that the 2jz but it may be possible to make some "adaptation" of some sort?