The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT Advice - Budget

Pilchard

Ive been lurking around here awhile, doing research, been out in a members car and now im finally ready to buy my first TT Supra.

Insurance came up great through classical which I was suprised about and now im just seeing what I can get for my budget.

Looking at a RZ model (98/99 for insurance reasons), would £12,000 be enough? No rare colours, just in white or black.

If not maybe a decent RZ-S Auto model with the right options ticked?

Not driven either transmissions but heard good things about the auto. Will be a weekend toy so thinking a manual maybe be more involving?

£12k should be enough for a fresh import facelift twin turbo 6 speed manual, which is exactly the car you want if it is just a weekend toy.

The auto is a great car, and well suited to daily driving (I have one, albeit the improved Tiptronic version), but I would have a 6 speed if it were a second car.

Well, I would always buy on condition over mileage, but fresh imports tend to be lower mileage, and much better condition.

The facelift RZ also came with Recaro seats, which were an optional extra on RZ-S models. I wouldn't be too hung up on RZ vs RZ-S though, just buy the cleanest car you can find. :)

JM Imports will find you a nice car for your budget, but I would insist on it being a facelift. It's easy to say that the lights can just be swapped etc, but it is an expensive process, as facelift headlights are well over £500 a pair!

Drift bear thanks for offer but i want something abit tame for my first supra, will go bpu once ive got used it then go from there.

Thanks for advice, will definatly go facelift as i want the lights and VVTi, will look on condition as i can swap to UK brakes with the rz-s model.

Ive read up on auto vs manual, is the auto quicker in real terms or just 1/4 mile?

i would get the manual if you have the budget for it mate, you can go single in the future without worrying about the transmission. Also you would loose alot less buying a 6 speed compared to an auto. Where in yorkshire are you from? look us up in the yorkshire section. Im from Huddersfield.