The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight options

Kendo11

Morning all,

Some opinions on headlights please.

Mine are currently the plastic jspec ones, but I can't seem to decide which ones would look best to replace them.

Some of the options: http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/lighting.html

The car is 199 silver.

You have these choices

Jspec plastic - either with the facelift mod

UK spec glass - look very smart and will last longer than the others

Facelift plastic - eventually go yellow like the jspecs

id go for UK's, well priced compared to facelifts and have longer life :)

facelifts look best on silver Supras :)

I think glass does

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10701998_10204578082628985_1262897969936095447_n.jpg?oh=2eb363f7fe1caebe9eaac4ce6444e344&oe=54F0F893&__gda__=1423444982_7454e21ff59fcd663fb0e2c00f93aad8

Facelifts imo look better however they cost more, are plastic, and fade so can not understand that logic.

The facelift headlights don't suffer as much with yellowing/fogging (may be because the inners aren't chrome), mine still looked good after 9 years.

Facelift for me too.

I'm with Nic about fading. I don't think this is a real issue, not because of better materials etc. But because there isn't anywhere as much strong sunlight in this country, most of us obsessively clean the plastic lenses regularly and the chances are the car is used irregularly and stored in a garage.

Yes, they are more expensive, but that's because they are more sought after. Supply and demand.

But because there isn't anywhere as much strong sunlight in this country, most of us obsessively clean the plastic lenses regularly and the chances are the car is used irregularly and stored in a garage.

Mine wasn't obsessively cleaned :) and was parked outside in HK where we got a lot of intense sunlight and a lot of rain, I think the problem with the pre-facelift j-spec headlights is down to the chrome inners which seem to promote the growth of mould (yellowing) on the inside of the plastic lenses.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Mine wasn't obsessively cleaned :) and was parked outside in HK where we got a lot of intense sunlight and a lot of rain, I think the problem with the pre-facelift j-spec headlights is down to the chrome inners which seem to promote the growth of mould (yellowing) on the inside of the plastic lenses.

Yeah right, depends on what you define as obsessively ;)

Your probably not wrong about the pre facelift lights. But UV isn't a big deal in Blighty, as you know.

Thanks for the help and the pictures guys, I think if face-lift ones last me another 9 or 10 years that'll possibly be the life of the car so I'd be happy with that.

I do like the glass ones too though!

I'd not be using indicators I've just fitted drls with indicators so not sure if that'd make a difference to people's thoughts?

uploadfromtaptalk1415549080677.jpg

Guest andy thomas

im not sure how glass lights would look on a grey supra which is what is putting me off them so i stand closer too the facelift ones and is anyone interested in doing a group buy any time soon