The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would removing the Inlet resonators have a negative impact on performance.

ripped_fear

As above, basically I'm planning a few more visual mods to my engine bay, and was looking into replacing the OEM air pipe with a stainless equivalent.

I would retain the OEM air box as I do not want a cone filter, just a simple silicone bend from the Throttle body and a hard pipe running down to the air box. Obviously this would remove the OEM resonators that hang of the bottom of the OE pipe work.

What effect would this have? would it decrease performance, increase induction noise or something else? Guess they must have a purpose, just don't want to impact the performance for the sake of looks.

Have attached some pictures incase your unsure on what bits Im talking about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=193802&stc=1&d=1415381851

DSCF7515.jpg

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Interesting wee read, this bit made me chuckle :D

Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible.

Might it be possible to get the pipe work itself fabricated, but retain and re-attach the resonators Jake? They're hidden on the underside anyway.

Edited by jim (see edit history)

Might it be possible to get the pipe work itself fabricated, but retain and re-attach the resonators Jake? They're hidden on the underside anyway.

Sure that could be an option, however im sure it would command a fair amount of money for the custom work as it would be a fairly lengthy process. May try get some quotes but with the level of work required im sure money would be best spent elsewhere.

I would go for it personally buddy,you haven't got Anything to lose other than the time you have spent making it all work together/fabricate the pipe.

And like I said I didn't notice any ill effects.if anything it pulls better with the pipe being Smooth and not ribbed.it also looks better albeit my pipe is abit rough around the edges as it was an experiment lol.