The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brand New Genuine V161 6 Speed Toyota Gearbox Price and Stockist....

MattP

Not sure who would be interested in these but a company I get bits and pieces from for my MR2s Supras etc has recently began stocking Brand New Genuine Toyota V161 6 speed Gearboxs over the years I have seen the 6 speed boxs inflate in price and the demand for them increase so for the sake of you people who are after a 6 speed box here is a new option for you...

The Boxs are New not refurb...

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_info.asp?id=10550&cat=89&sub=1354&sec=1562&var=32&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=

A few members on here get odds and sods from here I have had all sorts for various cars from them so can say with comfort they are genuine sellers.

I only mention this as last time 6 speeds were mentioned people were reluctant to have them refurbed and Toyota were after around 8K for a new box although im aware a company in America does a good job of refurbing them the name eludes me (Jacks?).

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

have you checked with nic how much a new one from Japan costs ?

No mate I'm not after a 6 speed just reading threads it seems the most recent price was 8K for a new 161 just purely out of consideration for any of you single/big twin owners this would be a viable option as opposed to buying second hand for 3-3500k..

What's included in that £5,000 just the box itself?

Looks like it mate I havnt looked more into it to be honest all I know is they are

New not Refurbed

Genuine Toyota Part

V161

Its probably aimed more towards ageing 6 speed owners with crunching gears and dead syncros than auto to manual conversions

It's 3500 for a full 6 speed conversion not just the box. I wouldn't pay more than 2000 for the box alone, big difference.

Easy Tiger nobody is arguing that a second hand conversion is not cheaper this is a price for a *NEW Gearbox for anyone looking.

Add in dual mass flywheel, new clutch assembly, slave cylinder, gear lever, gear lever extension, propshaft front section, balancing, slave cylinder, rear mount, hose, blah blah, and as an upgrade for a 5 speed or auto it starts to mount up! As a replacement for a worn out or knackered existing six speed in a car you will not part with for years and thousands and thousands of miles, a new one is the way to go for peace of mind, of course.

For a track car a modern sequential like a Hewland or Tractive will be more, but quick change ratio choice (drop gears in the Tractive give 30 minute overall ratio changes...) and lightning fast gear changes make the extra worth considering, plus they have amazingly good re-sale value.

http://www.tractive.se/home__10

Add in dual mass flywheel, new clutch assembly, slave cylinder, gear lever, gear lever extension, propshaft front section, balancing, slave cylinder, rear mount, hose, blah blah, and as an upgrade for a 5 speed or auto it starts to mount up! As a replacement for a worn out or knackered existing six speed in a car you will not part with for years and thousands and thousands of miles, a new one is the way to go for peace of mind, of course.

For a track car a modern sequential like a Hewland or Tractive will be more, but quick change ratio choice (drop gears in the Tractive give 30 minute overall ratio changes...) and lightning fast gear changes make the extra worth considering, plus they have amazingly good re-sale value.

http://www.tractive.se/home__10

I wouldn't have thought a sequential would be ideal for the road, still I suppose you could.

Shame Carl @ Tractive reckons my car is too powerful for their box and I quote "it’s a bit on the limit for the power"

Sucks as I know you rate them highly.

Tractive were talking of an uprated similar style box for big torque engines. maybe theyt never proceeded. For sure, a sequential dog box would be terrible in a road car, but I did say for "track cars" ;) Are you putting dog box interrnals in a W58 case? Who does those, the Aussie people PPG? I'd have thought the gear C/L spacing was a bit marginal in that case. I think PPG do semi helical internals for the Getrag 6 speed.