The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Racing, anyone on here compete?

Richie_k83

So me and a mate are looking into Racing, never done it before and always fancied it. Although it wont be in a Supra..

A few guys from work are competing in the Dunlop Puma Cup, as a budget entry and keeping it cheap n cheerful, that is where i am heading to begin with....

Got me thinking, does anyone here race in any championships?

Would be interesting to know who does what 😊

I've done various bits and pieces. A couple of seasons in Formula Vee and some other things. Did the Birkett relay last weekend, actually: http://garethevansuk.kinja.com/the-craziest-race-of-the-year-1652228068 :)

I get various bits through work, but I'm looking to do something more serious next year because I'm hopelessly hooked.

There are a few 'proper' racers on here. Plenty more drag racers though - but that's not proper racing :D

Guest Knightrider1980

You can always set-up racing with your friends, Me and a few mates at work designed a RWYB 4 Group championship for Santa Pod a few months ago, 16 racers divided in to 4 racers in 4 groups and race each other to be group A,B,C,D Champion, then the group champions face off against each other in 2 semi finals races, a 3rd place race off between semi final losers and then the final to decide who is the fastest of the lot, was great fun even won my first trophy being group A champion.....had my ass kicked by my mate in his Nissan GTR 34 tho lol setting it all up cost a bit tho.....buying the vouchers for drag strip runs, fuel, buying food, 7 trophies, all in all probably came to near £700....is worth it as long as you have people committed to doing it.

Edited by Knightrider1980 (see edit history)

A few guys said the first season is the most expensive, getting a licence, car and equipment etc, but once you have that, its only the races you have to pay for the following year...

Ha! They are either dreaming, kidding themselves, or very lucky, do not underestimate the costs of running and maintaining a race car.

Just race entry fees, tyres and fuel for the racer and the tow car mount up, add a few accidents and failures.... Not to mention car and engine development. Single seaters in the more modest Formulae are cheapest to run, and easiest to maintain, IMO.

Ha! They are either dreaming, kidding themselves, or very lucky, do not underestimate the costs of running and maintaining a race car.

Just race entry fees, tyres and fuel for the racer and the tow car mount up, add a few accidents and failures.... Not to mention car and engine development. Single seaters in the more modest Formulae are cheapest to run, and easiest to maintain, IMO.

Luck i'm guessing, our works Puma Cup car hasn't had any major faults or accidents this year and has been within the top 3 consistently.

Development wise, the cars are all set at equal specs really so mods are very limited to keep it fair.

(Aside from potentially introducing LSD's next year)

Saying that, it is meant to be cheap, to a degree.

I'd never doubt the costs, as you say, entry, tyres, fuel and travel alone aren't gonna be cheap.

Hell a catastrophic off would potentially end my season if i get that far lol

sounds great! good luck to you, pumas sound like a lot of fun! and keep us all posted i love reading racing blogs etc. that goes to you future time attackers too :)

i don't race wheel to wheel but i sprint, and do the odd track day. its prob a good thing because wheel to wheel would prob scare me to death :lol: i know that sprinting perhaps doesn't qualify as "proper" racing to some people, but i have a bucketload of fun :)

that subaru looks evil!!!

good to see a couple of karters too- i spanner for a kart team, love every minute of it. what years did you kart chris? the guy i spanner for was in 125 long circuit for a good few years until 2007. masterfett what class are you in?

morzy your gaffer did well at rockingham :) i assume these 10 times the cost cars are the GT86's lol. that black 202 has regularly scalped a certain supra this year too ;)

i know that sprinting perhaps doesn't qualify as "proper" racing to some people, but i have a bucketload of fun

Doesn't matter if it's wheel to wheel or against the clock, it's competitive and you still put the effort in to be there on the day with the intention of crushing someone's dreams.:cool:

what years did you kart chris?

The early ones, when there was still a horse tied to the front.:D

sounds great! good luck to you, pumas sound like a lot of fun! and keep us all posted i love reading racing blogs etc. that goes to you future time attackers too :)

i don't race wheel to wheel but i sprint, and do the odd track day. its prob a good thing because wheel to wheel would prob scare me to death :lol: i know that sprinting perhaps doesn't qualify as "proper" racing to some people, but i have a bucketload of fun :)

that subaru looks evil!!!

good to see a couple of karters too- i spanner for a kart team, love every minute of it. what years did you kart chris? the guy i spanner for was in 125 long circuit for a good few years until 2007. masterfett what class are you in?

morzy your gaffer did well at rockingham :) i assume these 10 times the cost cars are the GT86's lol. that black 202 has regularly scalped a certain supra this year too ;)

Haha yeah we have met before buddy.i was there at blyton park and came first and even came quicker than a few of the gt86's lol.i sold my old legcay twin turbo and got my supra :) how is yours running after the sprint series?

I have raced gearbox karts (125 Open), Special GT's, Special Saloons, Sports Prototypes and National F3. Not done any competive racing for a while, but still have two Sports Prototypes and an ex Heinz-Harald Frentzen Lola F3000 he ran just before he entered F1. I still do track days.

Would love to have a go in the F3000 :D