The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Needed - the devil that is silicone on bodywork

kokoro

So I finally bought myself a private plate... and after the headache that was finding a supplier of a jspec sized rear, I finally got the new plates today.

Then the nightmare began....

The previous owner had used silicone to seal around the edge of the old rear plate, so when my boyfriend took the old one off, it turns out it's hiding a plate sized hole in the bumper?!?!

Anyway, I've spent numerous hours in the dark trying to remove the remaining silicone from the bodywork. Now I'm cold and fed up. I've tried loads of methods (hairdryer, nail polish remover, rubbing, blade, peeling, picking etc etc), all to no avail. Rubbing it with a microfibre cloth helps, and has removed about 60% of it, but the remainder is proving difficult.

So does anyone have a clever tip that will help?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EverBuild-Silicone-Eater-150ml-Silicone-Sealant-Remover-EVBSILEAT-/350885622885?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item51b269b465

There is this. I have used some other stuff that is a strong solvent and smells like pear drops, but can't remember the name.

Exactly that, just leave it to work for a good ten minutes, and you will still need elbow grease.

There are also several Hagesan products that most diy shops stock that do a similar job.