The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diesel power tuning...

Matt Harwood

Does anyone on here know anything obout tuning diesel engines?

One of the guys here at work owns a big Yank pick-up truck. Ford F250 7.3 turbo diesel.

He's already installed a load of Banks power products and it's torque level is guestimated at 650 lbft. But He's just bought a 'Banks Six-Gun Diesel tuner' that is supposed to be able to increase power by up to 160 lbft simply by increasing fuel pressure.... (no increase in boost)

Does that make sense? - I'm just trying to get my head around how it works...

This page will give you an Idea. Diesels are set to a OEM fuel pressure to give Reliability as well as economy. As there is no Ignition ( it's CI) the only way to up power is either boost (if turbo'd) or Up the fuel pressure to gain more burn hence more power. The other way to gain/move the power about is to play with injector timming ( bit like IGN timing on a petrol).. All is explained here: :innocent:

http://www.bankspower.com/Tech_SixGun_Cummins.cfm

Yep, that's the one...

It's actually only (only!) a V8, but it can now out-run an F250 with a petrol powered, supercharged V10!!!! :eek:

I'll get some pictures of it.

I now know that increasing the fuel pressure on a deisel engine CERTAINLY makes more power/torque. Seems to be, the more the engine's under load, the more power it creates. 3rd and 4th gear are now awesome!

Ain't diesels Great. VW have been racing Turbo Diesels for years now and with good results. Diesels can produce masses of power at low rpm but are frowned apon for racing by the public as not cool. Only prob is because of the very high compresion you have to be carefull when ramping the fuel pressure or boost up as the EGT's goes through the roof never mind CR . They best Bit is that they will burn all the fuel you can throw at them (To a fashion) as they have no ignition to worry about. Rambling again :tongue:

Heres a pic of Ians truck till you get one Matt. Its in the backround:

2001_0425_005041AA.JPG

His EGT's are still less than 900!!!! - The guidelines he got with that fuel thing state that EGT's are fine up to 1050! :eek: His seem to peek at about 880 in 4th

Don't forget that Banks Quote in Farenheit and the six gun reads in Farenheit so that would be 565c (1050F) max and he is running at 471c(880F) at the momment ! Just a useless fact for ya :innocent:

Now that you mention it, I do remember Ian saying something like that, except without the conversion figures... They don't run very hot in comparison to petrol engines then do they...

No, which is why variable vein technology for the turbos is well advanced o diesels. Only problems with raising fuel pressure is particulate emissions (smoke), apparently. I am quite tempted by a modern diesel road car with a bit of tweaking actually....

No, which is why variable vein technology for the turbos is well advanced o diesels. Only problems with raising fuel pressure is particulate emissions (smoke), apparently. I am quite tempted by a modern diesel road car with a bit of tweaking actually....

The unit Ian has on his truck can increase fuel pressure by 25% on it's highest setting. It does smoke on this setting, but nothing too offensive. Similar to an old Sierra Diesel! ;)